~ 10 ~

John's POV

I said it.

Even though I wasn't sure about it, I knew what I felt for her wasn't resent, it was something that made me nervous in her presence.

I slowly made my way up to Paul's eyes, which were wide in shock, but they weren't looking at me.

They were looking behind me.

I spun around, expecting to see someone, but instead, there was just the closed door.

"What?" I asked turning back around to the three boys.

Paul shook his head and turned to the other boys who all nodded to him as well.

"What!" I asked, but they all gave me weak smiles and shrugged.

"Fine, well, I'm going to go- go think this through."

I took one last look at Paul, but all I saw in his eyes were a look of knowing.

Did he know something I didn't?

Maybe I was just confused and mixed it up with sadness.

Yeah, that's right, he's sad.

Sad that I might take his place with Kaylee.

Reaching for the door behind me, I hurried out and scampered off to the canteen, looking for her.

Now, this is it.

I'm going to try and change my ways.

••••

There she was.

Her long light brown hair was noticeable through the crowd of hungry actors.

Why does every one of our encounters have to be in this studio?

I followed her with my eyes as she hurried through the mob and pushed out of the canteen exit, into the street, the sun setting the sky into a deep red.

Perfect.

Trying not to draw attention from the teenage girls, I lowered my head as I walked through and pushed heavily onto the doors.

Just before I was about to take a step outside, a hand grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back.

"Hey!" I shouted, trying to pull away from the hand and closing the door, trapped inside the studio once again.

I turned around to be once again, face to face with Paul.

"Paul! What do you want this time?" I groaned, my heart beating fast.

I'm definitely losing time to talk to Kaylee.

"You can't do this John," Paul whispered, his voice loud under the noises of the canteen. "She hates you, and- it's never going to work."

Bewildered with this new change in Paul's character, I glared at him.

"You're usually very supportive in these circumstances!" I hissed, trying to push the door open from behind me. "What's gotten into you? Why are you trying to assume things?"

"No, John-!" Paul yelled as I scrambled from his grasp and ran out the door.

The street was like a ghost town, the only colour coming from the red and pink sky, as it was too early for the shop light's to turn on.

Expecting to see Kaylee far away in the distance, I started to run but soon stopped as I spotted her sitting in front of a record shop.

Slowing my pace, I stood and faced her, her eyes covered by sunglasses.

Her head lifted towards me and she quickly grabbed her bag and stood up to walk off.

"No, please," I started, grabbing her hand. "I need to talk to yo-"

"Let go!" Kaylee shouted, pulling her hand from mine. "Whenever you and I talk, you always come across as a complete dick."

I hesitated, watching her slowly walk off, until I brought up the courage and chased after her.

Maybe this is what drew me towards her.. her fierce integrity.

"Kaylee! We need to talk, about this!" I shouted.

Her body stiffened and she turned around.

"I'm sorry for everything I did," I yelled, dropping my arms to my sides, looking at her sunglasses, knowing her blue eyes were staring at me from behind. "I was a wanker, I know, but, I wanna make it up to you."

Kaylee's expression softened, but before I could take a step closer, she simply turned around and strolled off.

I stood, defeated, in the abandoned street.

A slight smile crept slowly onto my face and I turned around.

I knew I made some sort of progress.