~ 88 ~

John's POV

I opened the door and found the lights off.

Kaylee usually waited 'til I got home to fall asleep, but tonight, I didn't blame her absence.

Checking the clock, I saw it was one in the morning, and I groaned.

The boys and I had a recording session early tomorrow - today, in fact - so I'd best be going to bed.

Cautiously, I decided against checking Jasper, something I always did, and went straight to mine and Kaylee's bedroom.

George and Pattie had crashed Ringo and Maureen's for the night, which was good, I guess.

Creaking open the door, I was shocked to see Kaylee sitting up in bed, her eyes wide as though she were deep in thought.

"John!" She cried, spotting me almost immediately, and jumping from the bed.

I flung the door open wider and caught her, hugging her tight.

"I was gone for only a few hours," I laughed, but began to worry when she didn't let go. "What happened? Is Jasper okay?"

"He's fine," Kaylee answered, pulling away from me. "It's Paul."

"Paul?"

Paul had been avoiding us for a while now, other than when we recorded/practised and I guess I couldn't blame him.

It must be hard seeing the girl you love with someone else; I'd be in his position if he'd gotten Kaylee.

"He- he was here earlier," She began, and I didn't object. I knew she'd try and reconcile with him sooner or later. "And.. He hasn't gotten over me. He wanted me to leave you."

I blinked.

"He said that?" I muttered, feeling absurd. "But, he can't have! He's my best friend, I mean - What?"

Tears began to form in Kaylee's eyes, so I pulled her against me, letting her face hide in my shirt.

I knew - I hoped - Kaylee wasn't going to consider Paul's suggestion.

She would think about Jasper, wouldn't she?

"I just want things back to what they were, John." She whimpered to me, and I nodded. "I want your band to stay together. I want you and Paul together. I'm like the wedge: forcing your band apart."

"You're not." I growled, picking her up and sitting her down on our bed. "It's Paul whose driving himself to shreds. I'm going to fix him up, don't worry babe."

Kaylee managed a small smile, but I could see in her eyes that she knew Paul wasn't going to listen to me.

The only person he'll listen to is her.