~ 62 ~

Paul's POV

I listened intently as John and Kaylee spoke, John starting with an innocent mistake.

Kaylee and himself were supposed to be on avoiding terms (well, that's how it seemed), a rule that had grown mutually.

She helped around the house - John steered clear.

It was fine that way, I guess. It helped show that whatever happened between them was severed, but it still seemed odd.

Of course, there was still the incident of Kaylee and I, after she'd told us her secret, but I'd grown to forgive myself, and I suppose she must've forgotten.

Now, hearing the sound of John's footsteps coming down the hall, I waited.

His eyes didn't register properly, since he hardly wore his glasses anymore, but when he did, he gave me a shocked and confused glance.

I was ready to give him a piece of my mind.

"You have girlfriend, John. Kaylee is pregnant." I hissed, watching him raise his eyebrows. "Don't even think about it."

John opened his mouth to retort back, obviously to tell me to 'Piss off', but I pushed off the wall and stalked down the hallway, before a door bursted open.

"Brian just called!" Ringo shouted, reminding us that there was a phone in his room; something to make him feel superior. "Better pack your bags and wake up George. We're leaving today!"

===

Zipping up my large, green suitcase, I grabbed the handle and rolled it out of my room, past Ringo's and George's, where Kaylee had slept, and into the living room.

John hadn't emerged from his own room, and Kaylee was serving George a late breakfast, so I knew we would end up rushing.

"C'mon, guys!" I urged, and George gave me a protested look through his sleepy eyelids.

Kaylee stood in the kitchen, washing a few dishes, and I placed my suitcase on the couch before approaching her, George's curious eyes burning into my back.

"Here, I'll do that, you go pack." I insisted, standing behind Kaylee as she jumped slightly.

I hadn't spoken directly to her since she'd asked wether or not we desired tea, and it saddened me to think that she might be afraid of me.

"Are you sure?" She asked, her way of saying she would indeed like to pack, and I nodded, although she couldn't see me.

"Sure, go on now."

Kaylee turned around, her large stomach requiring more space than the girl I was used to, and she timidly scuttled off down the hallway, George giving her a grin.

I took over the dishes and soon heard George push back in his chair and hand me his plate, smirking at me mischievously.

"What?" I asked.

"Mission accomplished." He simply replied, but I didn't need an explanation.

He was quite correct: Have Kaylee speak to me, let alone acknowledge me, was a mission, and that goal had been reached.

===

"Get a move on, you lot."

The muffled voice of Brian Epstein, our manager, rang from outside the door, and I watched as everybody's heads turned towards the noise.

"Okay, lads!" George sang, and we all clambered off the couch to reach our suitcases, laying in a pile, looking messy next to Kaylee's own.

She was sitting on a single chair adorned with cushions, gazing at a painting on the wall, while us Beatle's chatted quietly among ourselves, waiting for Brian, and since now he was here, Kaylee quietly stood up and followed us to our bags.

I watched her with my eyes, remembering the bright and funny girl she used to be, until everything fell apart and left us with a pregnant and isolated replacement.

"Hey, get your head outta the clouds, Macca." Ringo urged from behind me, grabbing his bag and yanking open the apartment door to a flustered Brian.

I shook my head and followed Ringo as he greeted our manager and moved along.

"Hello boys!" Brian sang, giving us a wide smile.

I smiled back and moved into the carpeted hallway, watching George walk out, pat Brian's shoulder and be quickly followed by a sullen John Lennon.

John and I had seemed.. distant since our encounter about Kaylee, how I suggested he stay away; he needed to think about his own girlfriend in Liverpool, most probably sticking to her morals while he gazed dolefully at another girl.

I didn't have enough time to produce another thought, as Kaylee had walked out the door and Brian was turning to us in shock, Kaylee's cheeks bright red.

"Wha-" Brian started, but George interjected.

"This is our good friend, Kaylee Sykes." George explained, rushing forward to take Kaylee's elbow and guide her alongside us, as she'd stopped, frozen when Brian had spotted her. "She was deserted by her unfaithful boyfriend, pregnant and all, so she's staying with us."

Brian's expression seemed to have settled a bit, but his eyebrows were still raised, questioningly.

"Staying with you?" He asked. "For how long is staying? And what do you mean with you?"

"Well," George stammered, giving Kaylee a glance. "For the long run. And by with us, I mean Pattie."

"Pattie?"

"It's a long story, but cutting it short, she'll be with us."

I tried to catch Kaylee's eye and give her an encouraging smile, but she seemed to have her gaze glued on her shoes.

She must be wondering how pathetic she looked, and I wanted to reach out and tell her she didn't seem like that at all.

She was our friend, our beautiful friend, and we were helping her out.

"Well then," Brian sighed, closing the apartment door and taking the key's from Ringo to lock it. "Let's catch this damned 1 hour plane."

====

This was just kind of a 'filler' chapter :)