~ 77 ~

Kaylee's POV

"How are you feeling?"

Propped up against pillows in my bed, I shrugged.

"Will it be soon?" I asked, and George gave me a confused look.

"I ain't a doctor," He responded, but continued as I raised my eyebrows at him. "If you feel any pain, any at all, just tell me and we can go straight away."

I managed a small smile as he walked over to me, placed a hand on my shoulder, then left.

At least he was being thoughtful, but it wasn't enough to stop me from worrying.

I hadn't seen John in a few days, but Pattie had told me that he and Cynthia were.. I guess you could say, finished.

She didn't tell me what happened, but through it all, I hoped Cynthia was okay.

I laid back against my pillows and shut my eyes, trying to resume my once normal sleeping patten, but another knock sounded on my door.

"I'm okay, George-"

As the door creaked open, I realised it wasn't George, but instead, a pale and hopeful face.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing.."

John's hands fumbled together as he shut the door gently and he walked into the room towards me, sitting on the chair next to my bed, where Pattie had sat.

"John.." I breathed, unsure of whether he'd heard me or not.

Apparently he did.

"Hi," He whispered, sitting on the chair, his hands clasped in his lap as he looked at me. "Are you okay?"

Nodding, I tried to relax my nerves.

I wasn't quite sure if I wanted him here.

As I examined him, John's eyelashes fluttered closed, and his mouth opened as though he wanted to say something, but he didn't.

What would he say?

"Kaylee, I need to talk to you."

Oh, those words.

"Yes?" I replied, moving to sit up higher in bed.

At the sound of my words, John seemed to lose his little amount of confidence and began to get up, changing his mind.

"John, you're not getting anywhere," I urged, and he laughed weakly.

"I just don't know how to word what I- what I want to say.."

"You can tell me anything. Okay? Just like old times."

"Yeah, but you seemed to have broken that rule since day one."

I sighed, feeling the guilt. "If that's what you're here to talk about-"

"I want to be with you. Again."

The words were like a brick wall that I slammed into, and I felt myself tense up.

"Wait, what?" I exclaimed, and John looked away, getting up from his chair once again, cussing to himself.

"John!" I cried, and he turned back around to my bed. "Please, sit."

Immediately, John hurried for his seat, his eyes wide but doubtful.

"Do you want it too?" He asked, twisting his fingers together. "I mean, us?"

"Us?"

"Yeah," He added, inching closer towards my bed as though I couldn't hear him. "But I don't want you and I to do this, if we do, because we have to.. I don't want you to think it's because of.."

"The baby?"

"Our baby."

My heart warmed as he said 'our', but we needed to get this conversation over with.

And I'm sure you'll be able to guess what I wanted.

"We could."

His eyes widened, like he couldn't believe those words had been said, his tongue caught between his teeth.

"We could?"

"Yes," I answered, and before I could object, John's hand was wrapped around mine, his smile glowing.

"You have no idea how I felt when the baby was mine. I was angry and sad and annoyed, but most of all, excited." He breathed, and I didn't know whether I should smile or squeeze his hand, so I did both.

"Can we please just.." I whispered, drawing my hand from his. "..take it slow?"

"Slow?"

"Let's start again. First date basis. We never really had a first date anyway, so we won't be going from the top."

John nodded and got up from his chair, but he was still glowing.

"I'll see you soon," He beamed, opening the bedroom door and stepping out, a spring in his step.

Maybe he's forgotten that my contractions are due any day now, and he will be seeing me.

Our baby boy too.

Would he be the great father everyone said he will be?

I don't know yet, but I hope to God he will.