~ 90 ~

another NOT new chapter /.\

Cynthia's POV

- A month later -

I was sitting down, my stomach beginning to show the early stages of my condition.

After I'd told John I was pregnant, he came over the next day to speak with me.

You know what he did?

He apologised.

He said 'I'm so sorry I won't be around to see the baby' and 'I've got my own to worry 'bout now'.

I had burst into tears, and thought I would thinking about it now too.

Biting my lip, I got up from my little chair and into bed, falling asleep with my head all over the place.

===

Do you ever get that feeling when you wake up that something bad has already happened?

Or maybe that feeling of regret?

I sat up abruptly in bed, my legs stiff and my forehead sweating.

I knew what had happened before I looked down and saw the blood.

I'd lost the baby.

===

Kaylee's POV

Jasper kicked his little, chubby legs in the air as he lay on my lap, his arms reaching to grab my hair as it tickled his cheeks.

"Who's a beautiful boy, huh?" I asked him, taking on the 'baby voice'.

Jasper's mouth curved up into his usual, chirpy grin and giggled like I'd just told the funniest joke ever.

"Innit funny how they laugh at everything," John muttered from beside me, leaning over and propping his chin on my elbow to watch Jasper, his arm slinking around my waist. "He's gorgeous, ain't he?"

I nodded, turning from one to the other, marvelled at how much they looked alike, even with Jasper at such a young age.

John had begun to spend a whole heap of time around the two of us, dedicating his time off from working on their next album to taking Jasper and I places around town.

Last recording session, John informed me that Paul had showed up and gotten himself straightened out.

Apparently he was doing a whole lot better, but wouldn't tell me how he came to.

I really wanted to see Paul again, now that he was 'cleared up', but I hadn't had the chance.

"Honey, do you mind getting the bottle-"

I was interrupted mid-sentence by a knock on the door, and felt John move from the floor towards the door.

He seemed hesitant as he opened it, and I soon found out why.

Standing there, her handbag clutched in her arms, a large, white overcoat and a black beret hat, was a pale Cynthia.

She seemed tense and nervous, but when John moved aside to allow her in, I could see she was holding in the need to cry too.

"Wh-" John began, but I cut him if by standing up.

"Cynthia!" I gasped, perhaps sounding excited rather than astonished. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to John."

John's eyes hadn't left her face, and when he folded his arms, I knew he didn't agree.

I really didn't want to start an argument; if Cynthia was going to have John's baby, then who was I to stop them from at least sorting out custody issues?

"No," He replied. "You'll say it in front of me and my wife, or not at all."

At his words, both of us women gasped.

"Wife?" Cynthia yelped, and I felt my stomach tighten. Both at her reaction and at his words. "You're married?"

"No-"

"We should be," John answered, smoothly and calm, as though discussing dinner. "Now carry on."

After that large disruption, leaving me shaken and Cynthia visibly upset, she turned to go.

John's arm curled around me, apparently glad to see her leave, but I didn't feel satisfied without knowing what she wanted to say.

"Wait!" I called, causing the blonde to freeze in the doorway. "Don't you want to sort out the baby priorities?"

I felt awkward and half-resentful as I said that, but I wondered if that was what she was here for.

"That's what I was going to speak with John about," Cynthia replied, her voice soft. "Well, kind of.."

"Kind of?"

"I lost the baby."

===

Paul's POV

"Are you okay, love?"

I snuck a glance at Jane as she rested her chin on her hand, gazing out the car window as we drove down the wet streets.

Her strawberry hair was done up with a bow, making her eyes stand out as she turned to look at me.

"I'm fine," She breathed, making me grin. "Just.. anxious, I guess."

"How so?"

"Well. It feels like I'm going to meet your parents."

Frowning, I turned my focus back to the road in front of me, causing Jane to sigh again.

"Wait- What do you mean by that?" I asked, trying to keep her in a positive mood. "Kaylee and John aren't my parents. Don't say that."

"Yeah, I know." She replied, and I was relieved to see she wasn't annoyed. "But I need to make a good impression, don't I? It seems as though I need Kaylee's approval."

As far fetched as her interpretation sounded, it made some sense; more than I'd like to admit.

I loved Jane, and I knew it - she made the grey sky shine with blue - but I knew some part of me would never get over Kaylee, although I was trying.

"Of course not, babe." I reassured, taking a hand off the wheel to place it on Jane's knee. She smiled and laid her hand on top. "Be yourself. If Kaylee doesn't like you, that's not going to change anything."

"Okay." She replied, and I felt myself glow.

I didn't need to worry.

Kaylee wanted me to move on, and half of me had wanted to too, no matter how much it hurt.

She'll definitely like Jane.