~ 65 ~

John's POV

I kissed Cynthia's forehead for what seemed like the millionth time, trying to convince myself I was happy.

Happy to be back, with her.

But every single time I tried, it didn't feel right.

"You're sure you're 'right?" Cynthia asked, leaning on me slightly as the car turned left. "You ain't usually this.. Quiet."

Smiling at her, I gave her a little shrug.

"A bit exhausted, that's all." I replied, twisting an arm around her shoulders, which she embraced. "Are we going straight to my place?"

"Uhm, no. Pattie called me the other week - Nice girl - and she's invited us all over for 'welcome home' dinner. Sound alright?"

I swallowed hard, but gave another convincing grin at my girlfriend, squeezing her tighter to me.

"Yes, love. Sound's great."

===

The car Cyn and I were in ended up in front of our recording studio, obviously thinking that was where we'd needed to be dropped off.

I thought for a second we were the only two who'd stopped here, but as I got out, I saw George, Pattie's and Kaylee's car following, trailed by Ringo's, Maureen's and Paul's.

"Oh, do you think they set up here instead?" Cyn asked me, tilting her head, but I laughed.

"'Course not. I think Brian's organised one of those big van's to take us all at the same time. You know? The one I told you about last time?"

Sure enough, as the others got out of their cars and the drivers sped off, a large black van pulled up and Brian waved a hand out one of the windows, signalling for us to get on.

"C'mon," I urged, and Cynthia grabbed my hand, allowing me to pull her onto the bus with her, as we were the last on.

I felt a shock of emptiness when her hand clasped onto mine and I almost pulled back.

Luckily, Cyn didn't notice, otherwise she would've seen me rejecting her affection.

===

"Tell me, what were you doing in Australia?"

Sitting right across from Cyn, George, Pattie and I, was a very nervous Kaylee, her hands fiddling together as she tried to seem pleased when Cynthia took interest in her.

"I could ask you the same thing." Kaylee cheekily responded, forcing a shy smile, making Cyn chuckle.

"Oh, you know, taking a break from all this 'mess'." Cyn responded, making a small gesture towards me.

Everyone around Cynthia managed small laughs, but I simply continued to gaze forward.

I was focused on Kaylee, her blue eyes dark and hollow, and when she glanced towards me, I quickly grabbed Cynthia's hand.

"Oh, I see." Kaylee replied to Cyn, but somehow, it felt like she was reacting to my actions as well.

Have I made her think any chances of getting back together was false hope?

Was I going too far with this?

"Last time I saw you, you were with a boy. Jimmy, wasn't it? Was - is he the father?"

A sharp intake of breath could be faintly heard from Kaylee, but I was sure Cynthia was oblivious.

"Y- yeah, he, uh. It wasn't working out well, and.." Kaylee trailed off, looking down at her hands. "He wasn't ready."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Cyn hushed, and from her voice, I knew she was.

Suddenly, Cynthia reached a pale hand across the small space between her and the poor girl, placing her fingers over Kaylee's hands.

I watched in disbelief as the two girls I was in love with shared each others company, seeming to tie a knot.

This was exactly not what I wanted.

I wanted Cynthia and Kaylee to be distant from each other, but here we are.

Now it's going to be even harder for me.