~ 85 ~

John's POV

I crept away from George's room, convinced that Kaylee didn't want to see me.

So this was it, eh?

I finally, finally get the girl I want, the baby only people could dream about and be worry-free, and now lose her, probably my baby and have a million thoughts per second.

Oh how life fucks people over.

I shuffled my feet into Kaylee's bedroom where I knew Jasper must be sleeping, but when I walked in, he was crying.

"I'm here!" I cried, rushing towards his cot and picking him up, but all he seemed to do was thrash his arms around and cry harder.

His little eyes were squeezed shut, his nose was scrunched and his mouth opened wide, and all I felt was pain.

Trying to soothe him, I gently rocked him in my arms, but he continued to wail.

I couldn't even get my settle down!

"Why do I always do things wrong," I muttered, my voice cracking with coming tears, and as I said those words, Jasper suddenly stopped and opened his wet eyes.

He seemed to be studying me, but not with the affection like every other day; he was giving me a searching look.

"Daddy's in trouble," I whispered, wondering if he could feel what I felt. "I don't think mummy'll stick around any more. Could you convince her to? Daddy doesn't want to lose her." I thought for a second. "I don't want to lose you."

Jasper's curled fingers reached out and wrapped around my thumb, and before I could react, I heard footsteps walk into my room.

I glanced up, expecting to see Paul, who I haven't seen for a while now, but instead, I saw only Kaylee, her arms crossed and her eyes faintly red.

"Don't take him away." Was all I could think of to say.

Her face suddenly softened, something I didn't expect, and instead of threatening me to hand over her baby, Kaylee hurried towards me and wrapped her arms around me tightly.

What was she doing? I didn't deserve hugs, I deserved abuse and silence.

"What's going on?" I asked, wondering why she was even bothering to look at me.

"Shut up," Kaylee replied, her arms stilled wrapped tightly around my neck, careful not to hit Jasper. "Just shut up. We can work through this. I promise. Do you?"

I let it all sink in.

We were going to fix this.

"I promise."