~ 79 ~

John's POV

I twisted the wheel to the right and over took almost every car in front me; this was no time for patience.

"Slow down, John!" George shouted from beside me, in the passenger seat. "You'll kill us before we reach the car park!"

I tried to shake my head and tell him we'll be fine, but that would mean taking focus off driving, and I needed to get there fast.

"John!"

I swerved suddenly, avoiding the car in front of me as I came too close, and we drifted from the road before I pulled us back on track.

"George! I need you to drive!"

Pushing on the brakes, I heard yells of protest from the back seat to keep going, but I knew if I continued to drive, I'd crash from nerves.

"No, just keep your head straight," George urged, seeming to be the calm and collected person of the scene. "You have to keep going-"

"Get me to the fucking hospital!" Kaylee shouted from behind me.

"Yes, just drive."

I turned my head back to the road and took a deep breath.

This isn't about me, or my poor driving, this is about my baby and the girl I love.

I began driving.

===

As soon as I entered the parking lot, a hundred miles an hour, I jumped from the car and pulled open the door so fast I wasn't even sure I'd done it.

"Here, take her arm," Pattie instructed as she clambered from the car and started running into the hospital.

I grabbed Kaylee's shaking arm as she basically fell from the door and I hauled her upright, waiting for Paul, who seemed quite shaky himself.

"You okay?" I asked him, but he merely nodded, without even looking me in the eyes. "C'mon."

Paul took Kaylee's other hand while Maureen, Ringo and George followed behind us, making sure we didn't need more help.

Stepping inside the hospital, a nurse immediately rushed towards our small group with a wheelchair and Kaylee collapsed into it, a thread of curses coming from her mouth.

"Thanks, honey," George sighed, wrapping his arm around his girlfriend and giving her a kiss on her forehead.

The nurse turned her attention to us, a flicker of recognition wiped over her expression, but it was gone just as fast as it appeared.

"Will you be present?" She simply asked, and we all fell silent.

"I will," I stated, earning a funny look from Mo and Ringo, who were obviously clueless about me being the father, but oddly enough, there was nothing from Paul.

His hands were twisted so tightly I could see each vein, his head ducked down.

"Me too."

"Same here," George informed, grabbing my arm and giving me a confident nod.

Ringo stepped away from Maureen and looked at the nurse, directing he was to come too, and Kaylee gave a moan, showing she really didn't want to wait.

Paul placed a timid hand on the top of her head, but then took it off as though she'd burnt him; as though he remembered that he didn't want to touch her, for whatever reason.

I watched as he raised his chin, his eyes darting to mine before they zeroed back in on the young girl in front of him, who he'd recently touched, a cloud of anger blossoming onto his expression.

What in the..

"Okay, let's go, shall we?" The nurse answered, and before I knew it, we were hurrying down the disinfectant-drenched hallway.

===

Kaylee's POV

I lay in bed, a million doctors hovering over me as though I were a confusing piece of art on display.

I might as well be, since I was probably one of the youngest people to be inside their pregnancy ward.

One of the youngest to have a successful pregnancy up to birth, in the least.

My mother had told me about the time she'd gotten pregnant at 16, how she was so excited, yet in so much trouble.

She had a miscarriage.

She was devastated, apparently, and so was my father.

My parents had both met at school, young - 12, I think, and have been there for each other ever since, unless you count their divorce 7 years ago.

My mother told me almost every single woman, 80%, has a miscarriage before a successful pregnancy, and I'm so glad this has worked out, but at the same time, I'm terrified.

"Name, please." A doctor asked me, his eyes peering disapprovingly at me.

One thing about doctors I don't like: They'll disapprove of your actions, but never tell you, or never advise you not to do it again.

"Kaylee Sykes," I managed to growl, wondering why they weren't telling me to push already.

I was in excruciating pain!

"Date of birth?"

Oh God, that question.

By the look he was giving me, he probably suspected me of being thirteen.

Not far fetched..

"August 16, 1949." I responded, hoping I didn't look like a fool when I stopped to think. "And yes. The year is 1964. Go ahead, judge me.."

I expected a furious look from the doctor, whose name tag read Dr. Nayler, but he merely grinned.

"16, hey?" He mumbled, and I heard Ringo gasp from beside me on one of the plastic chairs.

"Happy late birthday!" He whispered, and I managed a small grin.

"Is this your first?" The doctor asked, finally reaching over and putting on gloves.

"Yes," I replied, widening my eyes. What did he expect me to say? 'Oh no, of course not. It's my sixth'?

"Father present?" The doctor finally questioned, and he glanced from Paul to John, Ringo to George, who were sitting either side of me, their eyes focused on me as though if they turned around, they'd miss everything.

Not that they wanted to see it all, I hope.

THIS WAS MY PRIVATE PROPERTY.

"Uh, no." I lied, for Paul and Ringo's sake, but before I could explain that the father was 'away', Paul stood up.

"The father is present," He announced, obviously confusing the doctor, Ringo and myself. "John, I know."

The room fell silent as I gaped at Paul, along with Ringo and John, George casually leant back and folded his arms behind his head.

A spasm of pain shot through me and I yelped, snapping everyone into focus.

"How do you know?" John was saying, but I couldn't hear over the numbing of my ears as I felt a push from down below.

"Who fucking cares?" I practically screamed, and John immediately rushed forward and grabbed my hand, while Paul grabbed my other, George and Ringo now leaning forward with fingers in their ears.

As John's long, determined fingers clasped around my own, I felt a wave of realisation crash around me and I braced myself for the most traumitising moment of my life.