~ 82 ~

John's POV

I carried Jasper down the hallway and into my bedroom, where a few hundred notes were scattered across the floor, and the bed was made.

The room gave off a cold atmosphere, and I immediately turned to leave, when I noticed my guitar in the corner of the room.

"Little fella, you wanna listen to something daddy wrote?" I cooed, stepping towards my bed and sitting down, uncertain of whether to place him on my bed and fetch my guitar, or not.

I didn't really like having him out of my grasp, and the thought of laying him down unattended scared me.

Finally, I placed Jasper's small body down on the quilt, dashed for my guitar, and then sat back on my bed, glad he hadn't moved an inch.

His little eyes were still shut, and Maureen told me some baby's took a day or two to open, whilst others took a few hours, so I guess Jasper didn't want to see the world just yet.

I felt quite nervous as I positioned my fingers on the fret board.

This was my baby, and I wanted everything to be perfect for his first experience of music.

"This song was written about your very own mother," I told him, his body snuggled up against my pillow. "She doesn't know, of course. Don't go tellin' her, okay? I'll do it when I'm ready."

If I fell in love with you, would you promise to be true, and help me - understand.

'Cause I've been in love before, and I've found that love was more, then just, holding hands..

If I give my heart, to you..

I must be sure from the very start that you, would love me more than her...

If I trust in you, oh please, don't run and hide.

If I love you too, oh please, don't hurt my pride like her..

'Cause I couldn't stand the pain.

And I, would be sad if I knew love, wasn't vain.

So I hope you see, that I, would love to love you.

And that she will cry, when she learns we are two.

'Cause I couldn't stand the pain, and I would be sad if I knew love, was in vain.

So I hope you see, that I, would love to love you.

And that she, will cry, when she learns we are two.

If I fell in love with you..

I finished strumming, placed my guitar by the side of the bed and picked up Jasper, who was now wriggling restlessly on my bed.

"Hey, hey, hey," I soothed, trying to calm his tiny little fists as they moved up to his face and rubbed his eyes. "Daddy's here. I know I can't play as well as Uncle George, but-"

Suddenly, as Jasper drew his hands away from his eyes, the breath was almost knocked out of me as the most vibrant blue eyes gazed up at me, staring.

I knew all baby's had blue eyes, which gradually changed colour or stayed the same, but Jasper's eyes were.. deep.

The outlines were rimmed with pale blue, while the inside iris was the most beautiful colour I'd ever seen, but I'd seen them before.

"Just like your mothers," I breathed, placing my hands under his armpits and lifting him up so I could observe him.

His little eyelashes and hair had begun to grow ever so slowly, and I noted he also had my nose.

"You take pride in your nose," I informed Jasper, who was too busy taking in his surroundings, which were obviously only shapes and shadows, since his eyes were only adjusting. "You and me, we look alike. We're both handsome."

I laughed, and at the sound, Jasper's mouth curved up and he made a gurgling sound which he must've thought matched my own.

"Oh, just wait 'til your mother finds out about this.."

Pulling Jasper towards me again, I thought I'd never know any kind of happiness that could over rule this moment, until Maureen turned up at my door.

"John, you're needed on the phone.." She told me, and by the way she didn't smile at Jasper, like everyone usually did, I knew something was wrong.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, standing up, Jasper still cradled in my arms. "Who is it?"

"I don't know if you know anything," Maureen answered, taking Jasper from me. "But it's Cynthia."