~ 39 ~

Kaylee's POV

I knitted my fingers through Jimmy's as I wondered down the cold shop aisles.

"What's for dinner tonight?" Jimmy asked, grabbing a tin of tomatoes and dropping them into the trolley.

"Hmm, spaghetti?" I replied, biting my lip and pushing the trolley forward as Jimmy returned to my side.

"Wow, I hadn't noticed how big you've gotten.." He muttered, releasing himself from my hand once again to rub my stomach.

It was true, I'd gotten quite big, and I hated how I looked.

Jimmy told me I glowed, but I couldn't bring myself to even say I looked decent.

I guess the mere thought of not being able to be with the father of my baby weighed down the positive in my life, although Jimmy had entered it.

I pushed Jimmy's fingers from my stomach and laced them through mine, nudging his shoulder with my own.

"You know that's a touchy subject," I grinned, referring to my ballooned stomach. "Man, I'm really craving chocolate chip biscuits."

"I'm craving alcohol.."

"Jimmy!"

"Haha sorry, c'mon sweetie, let's get your biscuits and head back to the hotel."

Nodding, I pushed the trolley along the aisle, until we came across a blonde, obviously dyed, and before I could remark, she turned around and gazed at Jimmy.

"Excuse me, sir, sorry to bother," She exclaimed, turning around and pointing at the top of the shelf, where the pasta lay quite foolishly. "Could you reach that for me?"

"Uhm, sure." Jimmy responded, his long and scrawny arm reaching for the closest packet and handing it to the blonde. "There you go."

"Thank you," She replied, tossing them into her shopping bag, a smile growing upon her face as her eyes zeroed in on my tummy. "Oh my, you're pregnant! How many months?"

My cheeks flushed pink as I looked up at Jimmy, his eyes wide.

"6. 6 months." I stammered, gripping Jimmy's hand.

"Oh, I love children." She sighed, her careful stare falling to mine and Jimmy's hands interlocked. "What a lucky pair of lovers.. I can't wait to have my own little thing. Do you mind if we catch up one day and talk about pregnancy?"

The eager expression on her strong features melted my insides, her obvious hope for her own baby oozing from her, I just couldn't decline.

Looking back to Jimmy, I saw a startled expression upon his face and I shrugged it off.

"Yeah, that's fine by me." I responded, placing one hand on my trolley to push off and leave. "I'm the closest hotel, off Chelsea street. Meet me there... Saturday?"

The blonde's hair bounced as she nodded, the sunglasses perched in her hair slipping down slightly.

"I'm Cynthia, by the way." She stated and Jimmy made a chocking sound, as if in shock. "I'll meet you Saturday. Yes, Saturday is fine.. Your name?"

"Uhm.. Eve, and this is Jimmy."

Ever since my publicity in the newspaper, giving my own name felt risky.

"Okay, Eve. See you!"

"Bye!"

I waved my hand to Cynthia and pushed on the trolley, where Jimmy and I quickly found the cashier and waited in queue, Jimmy not uttering a sound.

"I'm sorry you're getting the label of father," I whispered, squeezing his hand. "But, what's got your tongue?"

Jimmy's eyes turned to mine, his mouth gaping open as he stared at me, his expression as though I was a lunatic.

"Do you not know who that was?" He hissed, not bothering for me to answer.

But I didn't have to. It was a rhetorical question.

The images in the newspaper about John's new girlfriend.. It all came smashing back.

I should have realised who that was, but when I did, my heart froze.

"That was Cynthia Powell," Jimmy continued to hiss, but my mind had gone numb. "John's girlfriend."