~ 38 ~

John's POV

The couch seemed like a much more comfortable place than my own bed, but I seriously needed to sleep.

Our new tour had started; new sights, new people.

The sun was still in the sky, although quite low, and my eyes were fighting the invisible battle to stay awake.

"You 'right?" Came a voice from above me, soon presenting George, who flopped next to me on the couch.

I shrugged my shoulders, not bothering to look up from my twisted and fidgeting hands, knowing there would only be a look of sympathy.

"I'm fine." I replied, shifting over to the edge of the couch, allowing George to sit comfortably.

"Hows- hows Cynthia?" George asked, and a sparkle of joy erupted inside of me, something I'd vowed myself to diminish until I had Kaylee back.

"She's excellent," I answered, glancing over to George finally.

I knew Pattie had finally accepted his request for dinner, so he'd come to terms with how to behave around women and the excitement she brings.

"Is she coping with all this?" He asked, gesturing his hands at the 'this'.

Biting my lip, I tilted my head and nodded.

I didn't want Cynthia in the public eye at all. Ever since I'd seen how they had exploited Kaylee, I knew I'd never let it happen again.

It must be a reason why she won't come back.

"How do you think Kaylee is-" George had started, but the phone rang.

"Hold up." I replied, getting up from the couch and walking towards our special requested phone.

Picking up the ringing device, I lifted it towards my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey John!" Cynthia's cheery voice sang back, making me grin.

She was such a cheery person, I couldn't help but find myself wanting to ignore George and spend the rest of the day talking to Cyn.

The papers had picked up our relationship, and I'd usually found myself wondering what Kaylee thought about it..

"Hey honey!" I replied into the speaker. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, just wanted to hear your voice."

I frowned slighty, but shrugged it off.

"How ya been, babe?" I asked, leaning onto one foot and watching George from the corner of my eye.

He'd decided to give up talking to me and I watched him leave the room before I could relax.

"-And she was very nice and all, when do you think it'll be our turn?"

Cutting back into focus of Cynthia's sweet voice, I felt dazed.

"What was that Cyn? I wasn't listening, I was watching George."

A light hearted sigh came from the other end and I giggled, wondering if she'd ever loose her patience with me.

After that night at the bar when we first met, after I'd remembered her from at Art School, she'd spent the night with me.

We'd smoked and talked, finding out she was a year older, but that hadn't mattered to me.

The boy's had encourage Paul and I to stop moping about Kaylee, since it'd been 6 months without her, and I'd decided to ask Cynthia to be my girlfriend.

I sometimes secretly steal Brian's tape of A Hard Day's Night an fast forward to the scenes with Kaylee, but I've been trying to set straight with Cynthia, although it feels like I've made no progress in getting over Kaylee..

She was the closest thing I could get to how I felt when I was around Kaylee.. Relaxed and care free.. Happy..

"I went to the grocers today," Cynthia explained, and I intended on listening this round. "And there was this very pretty girl, gosh she was young, John. Amazing eyes, oh yes. And she was pregnant! Must've been 6 months, I 'spose.

She was with a fine young man, the father I'm guessing, and they were the cutest! But, as I was saying.. When do you think you'll be ready for children?"

My breathing hitched and I planted both of my feet on the ground in surprise.

"Children?" I gasped, and heard hurried apologies from Cynthia.

"I'm sorry, John, my heads been jumbled all weekend. I just-"

"No, no, no!" I comforted, trying not to drop the phone. "It's fine, but I'm still 21, Cyn."

Cynthia sighed into the receiver and I wanted to touch her, make her feel alright again, just like I always wanted to when I'd see Kaylee without her pretty little smile.

"Children are fascinating.." I muttered, hoping it'd bring my cheery girlfriend back.

"So, you would like some, wouldn't you..?"

The shy question made me wonder..

Yes, I wanted to say, but what about Kaylee?

But I couldn't, because I'm supposed to be over her.

I'm with Cynthia Powell now, my beautiful, funny girlfriend.

"Of course, Cyn. But maybe not just right now."