~ 68 ~

John's POV

"Come on, John," Cynthia called from the living room, making me dress faster. "We'll be late!"

"It don't matter, Cyn!" I yelled back, re-thinking the situation. "They'll eat whether we're there or not!"

Pulling my jacket on and walking into the bedroom, I found Cyn leaning against the wall, a large coat over her shoulders, biting her lip.

"What's wrong?" I asked, hoping she'd changed her mind and wanted to stay home; I was tired and not in the mood to see certain people.

"It's nothing, c'mon-"

"Cynthia!"

Cyn's big eyes looked at me and I grabbed her wrist, letting her know I wasn't going to leave without hearing her troubles.

She seemed to breathe in deeply and wriggled her hand away from my hold.

"What do you think about that Kaylee girl?" Cynthia whispered, and I felt my breath hitch. "It's not that I don't like her, but more or so, I feel bad for her."

I blinked a few times, trying to predict my girlfriends next words, but she stood there, gazing up at me.

"I- uh, I feel bad too. Why are you telling me this?"

"Well," Cynthia exasperated, raising her hands to touch my face. "We could always offer her some space here-"

"No!" I cried, making Cyn jump.

"No?" She echoed, frowning in confusion. "Do you have any problems, hon?"

"N-no, sweetie, I just don't think it'd be right for George and Kaylee to be separated at this time- Family and such." I hurried, hoping I was convincing Cyn, opening the door and pushing her gently outside. "Let's go, quickly."

Cynthia raised an eyebrow, but took a while to reply.

"I'm going to make sure she's looked after," Was all she managed, setting off down the street towards George and Pattie's small house.

My heart seemed to be sinking with every step.

===

Sitting in George and Pattie's dining room, I felt my hands curl up and turn to fists in anxiety under the table.

Any moment now, Kaylee would emerge and I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

I'd been thinking about it over and over, and somehow, it seemed to make sense, although I wasn't sure..

"Who wants orange juice?" George called from the kitchen, and I raised a hand, along with Ringo, grateful for the distraction.

Paul was due for arrival, but we all knew he could be late, per usual.

Paul'd been acting quite distant lately, and somehow, including every situation so far, it made me feel less human.

"Can you help me pour them, John?" George asked, and I stood up, when a door opened in the hallway and Cynthia gasped, jumping up from her chair.

"Kaylee!" She exclaimed, and sure enough, Pattie walked into the dining room, followed by an extremely gorgeous Kaylee. "You look amazing!"

Now standing next to George, I almost spilt the orange juice everywhere as I widened my eyes at Kaylee, wearing a pretty blue dress, her hair fastened professionally.

George had to hold my arm still, stopping me just in time.

"Thank you," Kaylee blushed, putting her hand on Pattie's arm to show she'd helped. "It was all Pattie's idea- I thought it was too much."

"It's fine," Pattie defended, moving to sit Kaylee at the table, where Cynthia began chattering animatedly, Kaylee trying to look interested.

I couldn't really blame her, and really, I knew it must be difficult..

Pattie walked away from the two girls and over to Maureen, Ringo's girlfriend, and as she turned around, she glanced at George, giving him a 'knowing' look, which made him stiffen.

"What was that 'bout?" I asked, and George coughed, ignoring me.

I decided to shrug it off, but the nagging thought in the back of my mind began to pop up once again.

"Hey, uhm," I asked, setting down another glass of orange juice, pretty sure we'd poured enough. "Can I talk to you?"

George placed his cup down and looked at me, glanced around the room, then nodded towards the hallway, leading to the living room.

I turned and walked off to where he'd indicated, George following, and as soon as we stood inside the room, he started on me.

"If this is about Cynthia and Kaylee-" He started, but I cut him off.

"That's half," I admitted, and he stopped, raising an eyebrow. "Look, I've been adding it all up, and I need your thoughts..."

"Thoughts on what?"

"I- I think the baby's mine."

====

MWAHAHA NOOOW YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO WAIT *Evil face*