~ 76 ~

John's POV

I was in bed late, the evening sun waking me instead of dawn.

I clung to the blankets around me, wondering what I was supposed to do anymore.

Next week, our 'holidays' would be over, and new gigs would start.

Great.

Hearing knocks on the door, I sat up in bed, my eyes half open.

Who could that be, other than Paul?

He's always been in sync with my emotions; he must know somethings wrong.

I traipsed from my bed and over to the front door, not in the mood for smiling, but when I opened it, I didn't need to.

"John! I'm so sorry-"

Slam.

I threw the front door closed and stood there, staring at it, unsure of what I had just done.

Pattie.

I knew she wouldn't leave that quick, she was very stubborn, but hopefully that was enough to show I didn't want her apologies.

"John! I need to talk to you!" Pattie called from the other side of the door. "Please, it's about Cynthia!"

What, was she hit by a car?

Thinking twice about voicing that thought, I slowly opened the door and glared at the model on my doorsteps, a scene I thought I'd never have to encounter.

"What." I growled, and Pattie cupped her elbows in her hands, holding them to her chest.

"First of all, I just want to say that I did it for your own good," She started, and when I opened my mouth to object, she continued. "And I know that you, well, loved her in a way, but you couldn't fool her forever, John."

With my arm propped against the door and my mouth scowling, I pretend to not have understood what she said, frowning even more.

What was the point in this talk?

There was nothing I could do to get Cynthia back, now that the truth had come out, but there was always the chance of..

No, I need to think about Paul.

"So what?" I asked, rather menacingly. "I can't get her back."

Pattie gave me sympathetic smile, and I knew that she knew we weren't talking about Cynthia anymore.

"Look," Pattie sighed, closing her eyes in exasperation. "We all knew it would end this way. You love Kaylee too much to begin something with someone else, and you know it. Please, you do realise she still feels the same."

I tried not to show how satisfied I was with that last sentence, but buried it down inside, fighting to make myself look unforgiving.

"Well, she's been pretty clear about not needing me," I retorted, every word coming across as a lie. I knew she did. I could see into the looks we exchanged.

"The baby is yours, John."

I looked at Pattie, who eyes shining with interest, but I continued to scowl.

"I know." I replied.

"So," She added, reaching a small, slender hand to my shoulder. "What are you still doing standing here?"

====

Haven't had a short chapter in AGES.

I'm thinking about the name Daniel/Danny for the baby, yay or nay, or any other suggestions?