Chapter 25

Test 24 - Decision. A voice echoed through a speaker in the room that was hung on the corner of the ceiling. Too high for me to reach. I sit up, slouching forward as I rub my wrists. The restraints are very tight and cause cuts and bruises. It's nice to have free hands. I bring one of my legs up, checking my feet. The restraints of my ankles were also gone. I peak towards the door, it was open. The urge to make a run for it would build up inside me. But I stayed in my bed. Last time this happened, there was an electrical barrier.  So I just sigh, turning my body to dangle my legs over the bed. I slide forward into the floor. However, I had been tied up for so long, not being able to use my legs, they had grown weak. My knees buckle and I fall to the floor, landing in my hands and knees.
"Gah!" I cry as pain shoots through my legs. A small growl escapes my lips as I try to stand, but my knees just buckle again. However, this time as I fall, a chain falls with me. It was quite long. It made a pile as it lay there. I look over to my bed to see one end of the chain attached to the wall. I trace down the chain, starting from the wall, all the way down to find the other end. When I found it, I was not pleased. It was attached to me. But not around my wrists or ankles. It was around my neck and my stomach. Two  thick, cold metal bars, one like a collar and one like a belt. I try to pull them off but it doesn't work. The only thing that happens is that I cause pain. I give up as my body was too weak. I sigh as I sat there on the floor. The only way to move around was to crawl. Luckily the chain was long enough for me to move around the room. 
I crawl up to a wall, far away from my bed, in the opposite side of the room. I lean my back against it, staring at the emptiness and gloomy area that was my 'room'.  Even though I was at the opposite end, a good distance away from where the chain was hooked, there was still lots of slack. A pile still remained. Why was I given so much? I lean forward back  onto  my knees and crawl over to the door. Evaluating it closely. There seemed to be no barrier. I stuck out my hand, waving in and out the door. Nothing. My heart starts to race as I slowly make my way out of the room. Nothing happens.  No shock and no alarms. I just wanted to jump to my feet and run. But I couldn't for two reason. I was too weak and I was still attached by a chain. As I make my way down the corridor. A sign under a flickering light catches my eye. Written on it was, my name. I turned down the hall. More signs followed after the first one. Such as. 'This way.' 'Turn' and a few more with just my name on it. I come to a halt as my path is blocked by a door. I grab the handle and pull myself up, standing on my feet. I wobbles around but I used the walls for support. Leaning against them. I reach my hand back down to the door knob, turning it. It was unlocked. I open it and push it open. Slowly stumbling, making my way inside. Still using the walls for support. I slide into the room, dragging my numb feet with every step. The room looked just like my room. However in the bed, was another person. Who wasn't me. I moved away from the wall. Tripping  but regaining my balance as I made my way over to the bed. As soon as I reached it, the door slammed shut and I heard the sounds of it locking. Followed by this was a loud ear piercing noise. So loud I couldn't hear my own voice cry as it hammered my ear drums. Along with this was bright flashing lights filling the room. My eyes burned as the light beamed into my sockets.
Soon it finally stopped. However, my vision was very blurry, I could not make out anything. The figure in the bed was just a blurry mess. I couldn't make out any features or detail what so ever. I tried to talk but all I could hear was a ringing in my ears. All sound and sight was blocked out. All I had was taste and smell.
As I tried to talk more and more, the ringing started to fade and I could hear my own voice again. But everything was still blurry and I couldn't see.
"[Name], this is a new test." Echoed a voice around the room. I heard the figure on the bed gasp and suddenly start to struggle. I'm guessing he was unconscious before.
"The figure in the bed before you is a monster. He has killed innocent people."  The person in the bed doesn't say anything. All he does is growl with anger as I hear him pull on his restraints.
"Feel around. By the bed is a table containing a knife and a key. You have a choice. Kill the monster, and use the key for yourself. Or, Use the key on him, and receive a consequence." The voice spoke.
"What sort of test is this!!" I yell. But there was no reply.
I slide around the bed, feeling for a table. My vision still completely blurred. However I finally bumped into the table. I used my hands to feel around. It was true, there was a key and a knife. I picked up both and turned to the blurry figure on the bed.
"You have 10 seconds [Name]. Make your choice." As soon as his words ended, I felt my chain be  yanked back. I cry as pain shoots through my neck and torso. I take a step closer to the bed. I couldn't see the 'monsters' face, but I could tell he was looking at me. I could hear his fast raspy breath as he panicked.  I stood there for a couple of seconds before the chain yanked again.
"Gah!" I cry as I feel the skin break under the metal collar and belt. My breathing and heart rate increases as the choice goes around in my mind. My hands shaking.
"I.. I don't want to die.." I sob as I lean closer with the knife. I hear the pleading cries of the figure as he struggles. I'm guessing he was gagged as he couldn't talk. I begin to sob more as I listen to him trying to beg. I cry harder as I lean away. Lowering the knife.
"5, 4, 3-" the voice started to count down. I quickly made my decision, using the key one of his wrist restraint. Once his hand drops I feel for his hand and give him the key.
"I can't.. kill you.." I sob as tears stream down my face.
"1." The voice finishes. Suddenly the chain is yanked hard, causing my body to be pulled to the floor. As I hit the ground, I land on the knife, causing it to stab trough my leg. I scream out in agony as blood pours from it. I grab my leg, holding around the wound  but I soon let go and reach for my neck collar when I feel something sharp press against my neck and torso under the metal. Suddenly an electrical impulse is sent through my metal collar and belt. Causing my muscles to tense. All fades to black as I fall unconscious.

~**~

My eyes slowly flutter open. The sun beaming in the room with a single stripe as it peaks around a gap in the closed curtain. Shining across my eyes. I exhale deeply, thinking about my dream, when I quickly snap my hands around my neck, feeling around where Jack had hurt me, and then licked me... As I felt around my neck, my fingers come across an edge of a bandage. I slowly move my hand further down my neck to find that the bandage was wrapped around my entire neck. Only the top near my chin was showing. I sigh, lowering my hands.
Why did you do this Jack.. I just want to get to know you. You are my roommate after all. Besides, for some reason, I feel different around you, as if we have some sort of connection. Do I know you from somewhere else? Have I seen you in a dream? Ugh, I dunno.. I'll think about it later.. As I continue to think, I'm suddenly snapped out of my thoughts as the end of the bed starts to sink as weight is applied to it. Judging by the change, I'm guessing someone was sitting down. I slowly lower my eyes from the ceiling down to the figure, lifting my head as I go. Once my stare locks into the form beside me, I sigh in relief to see Sadie looking at me with a half smile, half worried expression on her face.
"Oh Sadie. It's just you, thank god." I smile at her as I sit up in my bed. She smiles back, reaching beside her and showing something to me. 
"My, diary?.. How did you?" I say in confusion. The last person with my diary was Jack.. so how did Sadie get it?? Unless he forgot to get it when he dropped it from his hand..
"I heard about what happened.." She said shyly, lowering her head. Her finger nervously tapping on the cover of my diary.
"You did?.... From who?.." I ask, also lowering my head, my eyelids hanging down as I thought about what had happened yesterday.
"BEN told me.. he told everyone.." She replies, lifting a part of my mattress to place the diary under. She seemed to do it fine, even with my weight into the mattress.
"BEN?... but how did he know?. Did Jack. Tell him?..." I sigh as I slowly raise my eyes a little to look at her. She was still looking down at her hands. So I just looked back down too.
"No...Jack didn't tell him.."
"Then how did BEN-"
"He was there." My head snaps up as my eyes shoot open. I grit my teeth slightly, but I try to stay calm in the hope that I had miss heard her.
"What?." I ask, with a sharp tone. Sadie lifts her head, looking at me. Her face full of worry.
"He was there. He watched it happen." She added.
"He saw what happened?! Didn't he think to help me?!" I hiss through my teeth. Grasping my fingers down against my bed sheet.
"He would have.. But since you rejected him, he wanted to see you suffer."
"Is he fucking serious!" Sadie's eyes widen a bit at my sudden out burst but her expression soon returns to her worried look.
"I'm sorry [Name]. If I was there I would have helped you." She reaches out, placing her hand on mine. A sad smile forms in her face to try and calm me. I inhale deeply and let out a long sigh.
"Thanks Sadie.. I just don't understand why he done it.. He clearly will hurt me if he wants.. so why doesn't he just kill me.." I raise my hand, wiping away a tear that filled in my eyes.
"You really don't remember do you?.." Sadie says, tilting her head at me. Her hair falling over her face slightly.
"Remember what? Toby said the same thing.."
she returns her head to normal, moving her hair away.
"I think the best person to ask is Jack." My eyes slam open to her words. I'm sure that if my eyelids were made of glass, they would have smashed.
"No! I don't want to talk or see him! I'm scared of him Sadie!" I pout but she just shakes her head.