Chapter 31

As I sit on the hard wooden floor, trying to catch my breath, I suddenly freeze when I hear a knock on the door. I try to stay as silent as I can. I reach my hand up and carefully grab the key to lock the door, doing it slow, this way the click wouldn't be too loud. Hopefully. I slowly turn the key, tightening my jaw as I go. The lock clicks, causing me to flinch and let out a small gasp. Then, everything was quiet. But it didn't last long, soon the knocking turned to loud thumping and slamming. Whoever it was, I thought they were going to bust the door down.
I rise to me feet, backing away from the door. Think think.. I say over in my head as I look for another way out. The only possible way was out through the window.
"Hoodie? What are you doing?" A voice called from beyond the door. It sounded like Jack. So, was it Hoodie banging in the door? But why?
"She locked herself in.." he mumbled quietly, just loud enough that I could hear. The door knob starts to rattle violently causing me to jump. I panic and climb Onto Jacks bed opening the window. Okay.. any sign that they may get in here.. I'm making a run for it.. I say to myself. Trying to persuade myself that this is what the plan was. Some plan.
"[Name]. Open the door." Jacks voice demanded in a soft yet deep tone. I didn't reply. I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I thought that if I stayed quiet, maybe he would think Hoodie was wrong.
There was a silence until I heard another set of footsteps.
"Hey Toby. Can I borrow your hatchet?" A voice asked. This voice was once again Jack's. I'm guessing the extra footsteps belonged to Toby.
I climb up into the window sill. Now I was only one jump away if something were to happen.
Suddenly, there was a loud crash against the door as a hatchet is plunged into it, the blade pointing out of the door, into the bedroom. I jump in shock, my legs flinch. However, my sudden leg movement causes one of Jack's jars to fall. I try to catch it but it was too late it bounces off the bed and lands on the floor with a smash. Shards of glass shattering everywhere. All was silence until a loud growl erupted from behind the bedroom door. It was Jack. He was mad.
I didnt waste any more time, I slide out the window, holding into the ledge. It was a lot higher than I thought it would be. Oh god oh god!!!
I look around quickly for something to help me down. I glance over to a nearby tree, one of its thick branches stuck out, pointing in my direction. However, it wasn't in reach and it was a fair distance away. Say about 6 feet away.. Doesn't seem that much but when you're jumping from a hanging position with nothing to push off on. It's far. I swivel around, now my back was facing the wall. My arms twisted in weird positions as I still hung into the window ledge. Now that I faced the tree better, I saw it wasn't 6 feet. It was a lot more. At least 10 feet. I started to panic as I had no way out. The banging sound of a hatchet hitting a wooden door grew louder and louder. It was as if with every hit, the door moved closer and was now right behind my ears.
Suddenly I hear Jack burst through the door.
"[NAME]!" He yells in infuriation. Frustrated that he had to break his door but infuriated that I had broken his jar. I hear his footsteps walk closer to the window. I make a leap for it. Jumping towards the tree. I slam my eyes shut as I brace for impact of failing, falling to the ground. But instead. I made it. I open my eyes to see my arms latching around the branch. I chuckle nervously to myself as I hurry down the tree. I had never climbed a tree in my life, yet it looked and felt as if I was a natural at tree climbing. Like a squirrel.

I run deep into the forest. Not turning back. My running gets faster and faster as I feel my legs strength and become longer. My Changing abilities sure had its moments. I didn't stop to check what animal I had now become, I was too set out in running. I was so scared.
As I run for my life, I hear twigs snap from behind me. Someone was coming.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, a looped wire appears in front of my head. I try to duck to avoid it but instead my head plunges straight into the loop. Tightening around my neck. It was a snare. But why was it so high up, wouldnt they be down by my legs?
I cry out as I try to break free, finally realising what I had become. I had shifted into the form of a horse. I had no idea what colour I was, what mane I had, my eyes. Anything. I didn't think of this animal to become. It happened on Instinct.
Just then, the twig snapping finally made sense. A Land Rover drove up to where I was. It was brand new, black, shiny. Big. Behind it was a trailer, it must be towing it. A man dressed in all black with a fedora steps out of the car, and walks over to me. A shot gun in his hand. I try to run but the snare just tightens, casing my neck to bleed. The man lowers the gun, dropping it to the floor, he raises his hands in a small surrender as he slowly approaches me.
"Easy girl.. It's okay.. I'm not gonna hurt you.. I'm here to help you.." His voice was clam and soft as he tried to settle me. But I could see right through him. He had no Intensions of being nice. I start to cry out loudly, neighing and whinnying. Bucking and rearing. The man takes a few steps back, lowering his hands and his head.
"It's okay girl! Shhhh! Shhh. Shh." He gets quieter and quieter. I stop lashing around but I still stomped my hoof whenever he grew closer, Snorting at him. Just then, another man pops out of the car. He also dressed in black, however, he did not have a fedora.
"Come on man! What's taking so-" he was cut off. All that followed was the faint sounds of pain and agony. Oh no! They're coming!!! I start to thrash around, the man with the fedora began to panic. Does he go to his friend? Or finish off with me first. The man makes his choice, he turns but freezes as the sound of a shot gun blast echoes in the forest. I cry out as a hole appears in the guys head. I could see right through it. Blood splattered everywhere. His body fell to the floor with a thud. Revealing Jack, standing there with the shot gun. He gently lowered it, plunging his hand into his pocket, pulling out his scalpel.
He walks over to me and takes hold of the snare. My mind begs and pleads that he cuts me free, but I was wrong. He lifts his other hind, wiping the dripping blood from my neck caused by the snare. Bringing his hand to his face, tucking it behind his mask. I hear the small sound of him licking the blood from his finger tips. Followed by a satisfied gasp.
"Sorry girl. I haven't been very successful in missions lately. I'm so hungry.. I only use animals as last resorts, but I'm getting desperate." He sighs lowering his head, full of shame. My heart rate increases as he lets go of the snare, moving his hand down to my stomach. Out of pure instinct, my head swings in his direction, snapping my jaws. My muzzle morphing into a canine like snout. Jack stood back in a daze as the horse he laid his eyes upon now had the nose of a hound.  He shakes his head and charges at me. I go to neigh or whinny at him, but instead, a loud, ground shaking roar erupts from my gullet. Jack falls to the floor in utter shock as the horse in front of him had the nose of a hound, and the voice  box of a lion. I snap my teeth at the snare, releasing myself from the tree. I make a dash into the forest, leaving Jack behind.