Welcome to fatherhood

You felt a gush of water and looked down, "shit," you muttered looking around to see where Conor was. You spotted him not too far away talking to Jack and quickly waddled over. When you reached him you grabbed his hand just as a sharp pain shot through your abdomen, causing your one hand to squeeze Conor's hand bit harder than intended and your other hand to fly to your 9-month bump.

"Ow," Conor moaned looking to see who was attacking his hand, when he saw it was you a look of concern washed over his face. "You okay Y/N/N?" he asked moving his free hand to join yours on your bump.

You shook your head in response. "Conor my waters have broken, the baby's coming," you groaned as you felt another pain.

"Right, okay just stay calm," he turned towards his brother holding out his car keys. "Jack go get the car and we'll meet you out there," Jack nodded and rushed off while Conor helped you get outside.

....

You had been in labour for an excruciating 11 hours and you were severely regretting putting in your birth plan that under no circumstances should you receive an epidural. At least you weren't the only one suffering though. Jack was convinced that you'd crushed half the bones in his hand from the time he'd spent holding your hand while the nurse dealt with Conor, whose hand you had apparently squeezed a bit too hard resulting in a broken finger, but hey you weren't going to suffer alone.

"Come on Y/N, one final push," your midwife encouraged while Conor continually muttered words of encouragement in your ear.

With a final scream from you the room was filled with the screams of someone else. You and Conor looked at each other, recognising the screams as your new born baby crying.

"It's a boy" the midwife announced placing the baby on your chest.

"Hello little man," you cried in elation and smiled as you saw him grip onto the finger that Conor had held out to him. "He's perfect," you whispered and Conor nodded in agreement.

...

The midwife had taken your baby to weigh and clean up a little while ago and now she was walking back over with your baby in her arms. She handed him over to Conor and his face lit up, holding his baby for the first time.

Conor was instructed to follow her to the table on the other side of the room and she'd assist him change the first nappy and dress your son.

"Welcome to fatherhood," you heard the midwife say to Conor, you looked up to see him turning towards you with a large wet patch on his top. You held your hand over your mouth to hide your giggles after figuring out that your son had just peed all over his dad.

...

Conor was sat in the chair next to you rocking you baby and singing to him softly when you heard a knock at the door and saw Jack's head poke through the gap, "Can I come in?" he asked eagerly and you nodded your head in confirmation.

He swiftly made his way over to Conor looking at the small human that he held in his arms, "Do you want to hold him?" Conor asked.

"It's a boy" Jack said with a smile, reaching out to Conor. Conor carefully passed his son over and Jack looked down at him in awe, "what's his name?"

Conor looked at you and nodded for you to tell him, "Oscar Jack Maynard," hearing his name in the middle made his smile grow even bigger and the tears that have been threatening to fall finally escaped.

"Hey Oscar, I'm Uncle Jack. I'm going to be the best uncle ever, promise." A little while later Jack tore his eyes away from his nephew to look at you and Conor, "The rest of the buttercreams are here, should I go get them."

"Well we knew the peace wouldn't last forever, go for it," you instructed him, eager to show your baby boy off to the world.

Jack handed Oscar back to Conor and scurried out of the room to fetch everyone else. You watched Conor as he stared at your baby in awe, something you could watch for hours. Each time he held Oscar he had the same look on his face, as if it was the first time he'd seen him and each time looking even more in love.

...

Visiting time was now finished and the midwife had to force Jack to leave his nephew and go home. Now it was just you, Conor and Oscar left. The day had been a whirlwind and had obviously taken it out of Conor as he was now squeezed in the bed next to you fast asleep, his hand was in the crib next to your bed and Oscar had his hand tightly wrapped around Conor's finger unwilling to lose contact.

The afternoon had been filled with visits from your family and the buttercreams, who were actually silence for once amazed at the sight of Oscar led contently sleeping in his father's arms. Cuddling into Conor's side you closed your eyes to get some rest as you knew tomorrow would be nearly as exhausting as today was.