Nightmare

You shot up and placed your hand over your heart as it beat erratically. 'It was just a dream' you repeated in your head 'Conor's fine, you were dreaming' you attempted to convince yourself but you could still clearly see the image of him hooked up to all those machines in the hospital and the heart monitor flat-lining.

As you looked around you realised you were still in your living room, you'd obviously fallen asleep before you made it to bed last night. As you continued to fail at convincing yourself that Conor was fine you glanced at the time on your phone trying to decide whether it was an appropriate time to go see him. 3 am. He'd most likely be asleep. Eventually you gave up the battle you were having with yourself and grabbed your car keys to go to Conor's.

...

"Y/N?" Conor asked you confused as he found you at his door at 3am in the morning.

As soon as the door was open wide enough you ran to him and pulled him into a hug. "You're okay," you whispered and gripped onto him tighter.

"Umm, Y/N. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," you replied, content as his arms wrapped around you and he pulled you into his apartment closing the door behind you.

"You know I always love seeing you, but why are you here at this time?"

"I had a nightmare about you and I just wanted to make sure you're okay," you mumbled to him, realising how it sounded a bit stupid now you were actually here.

"I'm fine baby," he reassured you and kissed the top of your head. "Do you want to stay here?" he asked you softly. You nodded and he linked his hand with yours and guided you to his room.

"Conor?" you asked as he shut the door.

"Yeah?"

"Can I have something to wear?" you asked him as you looked down at the jeans and tight top you still had on from when you fell asleep on the sofa earlier that evening.

"Of course," he picked up at top that was in a half-folded pile of his clothes next to his bed. As you pulled it over your head you realised it still smelt like him and it instantly made you feel safe.

"Come on," he encouraged, tapping the space next to him on the bed.

You joined him under the covers and he pulled your body into his, you cuddled into his chest and tangled your legs with his to get comfortable.

"Can you sing to me?" you asked him a few minutes later breaking the silence.

"Quiet your heart

It's just a dream

Go back to sleep

I'll be right here

I'll stay awake as long as you need me"

He sang the words softly into your ear and before long his soothing voice had lulled you to sleep, except this time with him close to you there were no nightmares.