Secretly in love

You had a secret, something that no one knew about you. This secret was that you were in love with Conor Maynard, the blue-eyed boy that you'd been best friends with for 6 years.

The day you met him you knew you'd fall for him. He was charming and had the best sense of humour, his smile could light up the room and his laugh was better than the jokes he told. You'd always hoped that Conor would one day admit that he had feelings for you too but you were still waiting for that day, your sister had encouraged you to ask him out yourself a few times but he'd never shown any real hints that he reciprocated the feelings so you were too scared.

That's why nights like these were hard for you. Conor had insisted that you go out clubbing with him and the boys, it's usually something you could make an excuse for but this time there was no way out of it. You knew how this would end, it happens almost every time; the boys would all find someone else and you'd get your heart broken watching Conor take some other girl home.

The night hadn't been going that bad until you left him alone on the dance floor. For a good hour you'd been dancing to random songs that you didn't really like with Conor until you decided that your feet couldn't take any more so you returned to your booth to sit with your few friends that were left there. The next time you saw him his lips were locked with some brunette girl that you were convinced was about 10x prettier than you were.

Normally you would have dealt with the burning jealousy and devastation in a civilised manner and kept quiet but tonight it didn't quite go that way. With alcohol running through your veins you made your way over to where they were stood a few metres from you and after all those years you finally snapped.

The next few moments happened in slow motion. You pulled the girl away from Conor and screamed "Get off my boyfriend," as soon as realisation hit you froze, you could see all your friends staring at you and Conor's eyes were burning into your skin but you were too ashamed to meet his gaze.

When you finally came to your senses you ran out of the club, pushing people out of your way as you went. "Fuck," you muttered hitting the wall once you were outside the club.

That was it, you wouldn't even have Conor as a friend anymore. He would hate you forever and it was all your fault. You were so caught up in taking your anger out on the wall you didn't notice Conor exiting the club and approaching you.

"Whoa, Y/N chill out," Conor exclaimed as he dragged you away from the wall. You struggled against his grip but he refused to let go. "Calm down," he spoke soothingly into your ear, you stopped struggling and let the sobs overtake your body.

"Just leave me alone Conor," you sobbed.

You heard him sigh from behind you and then felt your body being turned and his arms wrapped around you. The warmth you felt while wrapped in his arms and the way that his hand rubbing your back made your skin tingle just made the whole situation more painful for you.

"Why didn't you say anything?" he asked you cautiously a few minutes later and you pulled back from his embrace so you could look at him.

"What was I meant to say, hey Conor I'm in love with someone but they don't feel the same way- oh by the way that person's you? Yeah that wasn't happening," you told him bitterly. You took a few deep breaths trying to regain your composure and wiped your eyes, "I think I'm just gonna go home."

"Y/N..." Conor said softly reaching for you again but you continued walking away "would you just stop a minute?" he grabbed your arm to stop you from going any further and you turned to face him.

"Can you just stop prolonging my embarrassment and let me leave?"

"Can you just shut up a minute? Do you honestly think if I didn't feel anything for you that I would've followed you out here?" you tried to respond but he shut you up again. "Jheez Y/N, I've been in love with you my entire life. Ever since the day I first met you"

"Yo-you have?" you stuttered.

"I have," he confirmed, he caressed your cheek in his hand and slowly leant forward to join your lips. You instantly responded to the kiss and wrapped your arms around his neck. It may have taken you a long time to come together and maybe it wasn't under the best circumstances but the moment your lips touched his, your feelings were confirmed and you knew it was mean to be.