Dark cloud

Ever since the start of your relationship with Conor you'd been aware that he suffered from depression. It was something that happened in periods for him, one day he could be completely fine and the next he'd have hit one of his lowest points.

Whenever this happened you never knew how long it'd last: sometimes it would only last for a day or two other times it could last for weeks.

And this was one of those times, Conor had been struggling with his depression for the last 3 weeks and it didn't seem to be getting any better for him.

It was the middle of the afternoon and you were in bed with Conor. You were sat, leant against the headboard, his head was resting on your lap, face cuddled into your stomach, arms wrapped around your waist and your fingers were softly running through his fluffy hair. The room was silent and there was a slight tension in the air, you knew that Conor had something on his mind and you were waiting patiently for him to tell you.

"Why do you put up with me? I'm such a burden to you especially over these past few weeks," he finally blurted out, his face staying hidden against your stomach so he didn't have to look at you.

"Conor look at me," you told him softly, pulling his chin so he was looking at you. His eyes looked so dull and it hurt you to see him so down when there was nothing you could do to stop it, "I stay with you because I love you, the depression isn't something you can get rid of so I'll just do everything I can to support you through the hard times"

"But..."

"No buts. Look I know that some days are hard and you may feel like the world is against you, trying It's best to break you and hurt you until you feel completely alone and worthless. I'm going to be there to remind you that you're not alone and there's so many people who love you, I'll be there to remind you of all the good days because even If it feels like things are never going to get better and you'll be stuck under this dark cloud forever things will always get better. There's always a sunny day after a storm Conor and I'll always be there to help you find it."

You saw his eyes fill with tears and a few escaped, slipping down his cheeks. "I just want it to stop," he breathed "I want to be able to sleep at night, to be able to feel happy without everything pushing me straight back down moments later, I just want my life to be as happy and perfect as people think it is because it's far from that," he cried and your heart broke as you stared down at the beautiful person that life had broken.

He turned his head to hide it against your stomach once more and you could feel his tears making your t-shirt damp. "I know baby, I know" you replied, not knowing what you could say to make him feel better but in all honesty, you didn't know. So, all you could do was tell him how much you loved him and reassure him that things would get better until they did.