Stupid

You were sat silently on the sofa, chewing on your nail while lost in thought when a body landed heavily next to yours. You looked over to see Conor sat next to you, which oddly was the man who had previously been occupying your thoughts. Don't be mistaken though, this wasn't a one-off thing Conor had been the only thing on your mind for a while now and it was practically impossible to control.

It hadn't always been this way, you had been best friends with Conor since you met him at a photoshoot 4 years ago. You were an intern at the photographers where he was doing a shoot for some magazine when you met, you accidently walked in on him changing to ask if he wanted a cup of tea and the friendship formed from there.

Then a few months ago you started to slowly but surely develop feelings for him. When he hugged you it no longer felt like a normal hug, as soon as his arms wrapped around you your body felt warm and safe. When he kissed your cheek, you felt butterflies in your stomach that had never been there before. When he smiled or laughed, your heart swelled and a smile always found its way to your face.

It was recently that you realised that you'd in fact fallen in love with him and there was nothing that you could do to lessen these feelings, just hiding them was beginning to become a struggle.

Conor threw his arm around your shoulder and you had to supress a reaction, after all this was something that he did all the time. Your body felt warm and tingly, you leant into Conor and sighed.

"Come on then, spill" he said nudging you slightly.

"Hmmm, what do you mean?"

"Oh come off it, you've been acting odd for weeks."

"I don't know what you're talking about Conor," you told him with a forced laugh to try and convince him.

"Yeah right, Y/N I'm your best friend, I know everything about you so I can tell when somethings wrong," Conor was speaking to you in such a tender way that you could hardly breath but as he uttered the words 'best friend' you felt a stab in your heart. "So, tell Conny what's wrong," he said making you giggle, but this time it was a genuine laugh.

You sighed and hid your face in his t-shirt, attempting to avoid the inevitable conversation for as long as possible. You felt his other arm wrap around you and rub soft circles on your back, you felt tears start to well up in your eyes knowing that Conor may not ever talk to you again after this. You took a deep breath and mumbled "I'm stupid."

"Why's that?" he asked and kissed your head, he was somehow finding hundreds of ways to make this whole conversation harder for you.

You took a few seconds to gain enough courage and then admitted what had been haunting you for the last few months. "I'm so stupid. I fell for my best friend," you kept your face hidden in his top, far too scared to look up and find out his reaction.

"Wow. You're stupid," the words made you freeze and you swear that you felt your heart crack, you really were stupid of course he wouldn't feel the same. You were about to move away from him when he spoke up again. "But do you know what? I'm stupid too."

"And why's that?" you asked quietly, nervous to hear his reaction.

"Because I fell for my best friend too."

His answer stunned you and you slowly lifted you head to look at his face, your eyes connected with his and you could instantly tell that this wasn't some kind of joke like you had originally assumed it was.

"You have?" Your face was graced with a large smile when you saw him nod in response, his hand came up to rest on your cheek and he used it to guide your face towards his.

Finally the moment that you had been waiting for happened, your lips joined and the pent up feeling spilled from both of you adding to the passion. When you pulled away you kept your forehead connected with his.

You spent the next few hours in Conor's arms, keeping his body as close to yours as possible. You made sure that you didn't go for more than a few minutes without kissing his lips, an unimaginable feeling that you were adamant you'd never get used to. After months of suppressing these feelings you were taking time to let them all out and embrace the amazing human that you were somehow lucky enough to find.