Summer love

You bit your lip, trying to contain the tears that were threatening to fall as you picked up items of clothing from around the room and packed them into your suitcase. In a couple of days you were returning to America to start your last year of uni after spending the summer in your home country, England.

You never thought that returning here could be so bittersweet but then again you never imagined you'd fall in love so quickly and be forced to leave him only months later.

During your first week back in London you met the most gorgeous brown haired and blue eyed boy you'd ever seen and you fell in love with everything about him. Simple as that. But now, as much as it broke your heart, you had to go.

At first, you'd fantasised about having this amazing moment where you'd tell him that you didn't have to go but you knew that was unrealistic, you'd put your blood, sweat and tears into this degree for too long to just give it up now. You also knew you couldn't expect him to follow you out there, Conor had his whole life here and you in no way expected him to give that up for you.

You'd discussed this just a few days ago and decided that a long-distance relationship would be far too hard. As much as it hurt you both you both had other commitments that would make maintaining that relationship impossible so parting way would be best. You weren't going to call him or text him. Nothing.

The only request Conor had that you promised you'd never forget him. Although that was a given, how were you meant to forget the person who was constantly on your mind? Your mum had told you it was a simple summer love, a holiday romance that you'd forget about in a matter of months but you knew that wasn't true.

You checked the time on your phone and realised you needed to leave the house now if you were going to be on time to meet Conor. When you'd decided to call things off you had insisted that you spent one last day together, which he'd happily agreed to.

-

This was it, the final goodbye. You were never going to see the love of your life again and it hurt way more than you imagined it would have.

"I don't want to go," you mumbled into his neck as he held you in a tight embrace.

"I know," he sighed "If I could rewind and start everything again I would gorgeous but we can't."

The tears that you'd been holding back all day finally took over you and you started sobbing in his arms. He whispered soothing words in your ear and held you tighter but for the first time since you met this didn't help to make you feel any better.

Once you'd finally calmed down you made your way to the door and opened your mouth to say goodbye but he placed his finger on your lips shushing you.

"Please don't, it'll only make it harder," he whispered.

You nodded and leaned up placing a lingering kiss on his lips before walking out of his apartment and walking out from his life.

...

It'd been 6 months since you'd been back in LA and your heart still ached for Conor every day. You'd thrown yourself in your work to try and block the memory of him out but you couldn't seem to do it.

Whenever the sky was cloudy you'd think of London. At the beach the sea would always remind you of Conor's eyes. When you went out to a club with your friends every male that approached you would be compared to Conor. You just couldn't seem to escape him.

As you walked along the warm streets you felt your body collide with someone else's bringing you out of you daydream as you land on your bum.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so-" you heard a familiar voice start to ramble.

You looked up and saw the face that you'd been craving for the past 6 months "Conor?"

"Y/N?" he asked, only just realising who you actually were "I've missed you so much," he exclaimed pulling you up off the floor and into a hug.

"I missed you too," you mumbled, gripping onto his body like your life depended on it, "have you got time for a coffee or something?" you asked nervously, hoping he hadn't moved on from you.

"For you I've always got time," he told you with that award-winning smile you'd fallen in love with many months ago. You sighed in relief and grabbed his hand to drag him to one of your favourite cafes in LA.

-

You'd been talking with Conor for hours now and it was as if you'd never been apart. His hand was holding yours just like it always used to as you wandered through the park, his smile was just as bright as you remembered and the connection you had together, that was definitely still there too.

"So, you never told me what you're doing in LA"

"I'm over here for the next 3 months finishing off my album," the words 'next 3 months' replayed in your mind and a smile took over your face.

"You're here for the next three months?!" you squealed tackling him into a hug.

"I am, and I'm hoping to spend a lot more time with you," he mumbled and pulled you into a kiss that made your whole body tingle.

It just goes to show maybe absence can make the heart grow fonder and holiday romances didn't only have to be a summer love.