Fake date

"Please Conor," You begged down the phone. "I don't want to be the only one of my friends without a plus one again, pleaseeee"

You heard him sigh on the other end of the phone "okay, I'll be your date for this wedding but you're buying the drinks all night"

You squealed in excitement, "thank you Conor, I always knew you were the best Maynard"

"Well I think that's pretty obvious. You should've know that before babe, I've always been the best Maynard" you heard him say with fake offence.

"How could I not know? You tell me often enough,"

"Yeah, whatever. Just remember to tell me what you're wearing so I can match my suit, we'll look like a proper couple then," he squealed like a teenage girl making you laugh.

"You think you're picking your own suit? That's cute but no chance, you're picking me up tomorrow and we're going shopping"

"You do realise you're not actually my girlfriend, right? I'm not obliged to follow your instructions" He joked but the sentence made the smile that was once there drop from your face nether less.

"Uh yeah, I've uh got to go. Don't forget to pick me up tomorrow," you rushed out before hanging up the phone.

The truth was ever since you met Conor you'd been infatuated with him. You met at V festival back in 2015 not long after he'd broken up with his girlfriend, you'd found him alone having a panic attack and he'd invited you to stay backstage with him to say thank you for rescuing him. Since then you'd been best friends and you'd been in love with him. At first you didn't act on your feeling because you knew it was too soon after his last relationship but since then you'd never grown the courage to admit your feelings, so Conor was still clueless towards how you felt about him.

...

It was the day of the wedding and you'd just finished doing your hair when you heard a knock at the door, you rushed downstairs and opened it to reveal Conor stood there looking particularly fine in his suit.

As soon as he saw you he let out a low whistle, "well don't you look beautiful Miss Y/L/N," he complimented you and kissed your cheek which was bright red from the blush covering it.

"You're looking pretty great yourself Mr Maynard," you replied while ushering him through the door. "I just need to put my shoes on and then I'll be ready," you told him while walking back to your bedroom to put your shoes on and then you returned to the living room where he was stood waiting for you.

When Conor had noticed you'd returned to the room he walked over to you and pulled you into a hug, "I'm pretty sure you get more beautiful every time I see you," he murmured into your ear and the blush from earlier returned to your cheeks, except it was much more intense this time.

"Conor, stop. You're making me blush," you whined.

"Well if I'm your boyfriend for the day I have to make the most of it, don't I? Now let's go or we'll be late," he replied while pulling away from the hug, he then grabbed your hand and dragged you out of your apartment.

...

You were now at the wedding reception; the day had run smoothly and you'd had such a great time with Conor that you'd started to forget that he wasn't actually your boyfriend. It was only just the start of the night anyway, you still had time to live out your dream before you went back to being just his best friend.

You weren't exactly sure whether you were actually enjoying the wedding, which is the type of event you usually hated, or whether you were just loving being with Conor. Either way both of these things would end at the same time so you may as well make the most out of it while you could.

You were bought out of your thoughts by the feeling of someone's warm breathing on your neck, "Do you want to dance?" you heard a voice say in your ear and you instantly recognised it as Conor's.

"Sure," you replied smiling at him and you allowed him to pull you up from your seat.

He led you over to the dance floor just as a slow song started to play. You were prepared for him to change his mind and return to your seats when he took you by surprise and pulled you close to him. He swayed you both gently in time with the music and sang quietly in your ear, making your heart jump and the butterflies in your tummy to go wild. You knew this was probably a bad idea and you shouldn't allow yourself to get too used to how he was acting with you right now, but you couldn't help it.

You pulled your head away from his chest to look up at him, "Conor?"

"Hhmm," he replied, looking down so that his eyes met yours.

While your eyes were joined with his you forgot what your initial question was and you made a split-second decision, you leaned up and quickly pressed your lips against his. When you pulled away you instantly regretted your decision; you'd probably just ruined your friendship and you needed Conor in your life somehow, even if it wasn't in the way you wanted.

"I'm so sorry," you told him with tears in your eyes and started to walk away, assuming he'd want you to leave.

You'd only taken a few steps when you felt his grip on your wrist pulling you back to his chest, "Shhh, it's okay Y/N/N," he comforted you while swaying your bodies again and rubbing you back. You wrapped your arms around his body tightly and hid you face on his chest.

"Can you take me home, please?" you mumbled.

He pulled back a bit so he could see your face and gave you a reassuring smile, "You need to speak up babe, I can't hear you,"

"Can we leave now?" you asked a bit louder this time, still avoiding making eye contact with him.

"Of course, come on," he released himself from the tight grip you still had around him and grabbed your hand instead to lead you out of the building and to the car.

...

Conor had just pulled up in front of your block and you were about to open the car door when you felt his hand on your thigh making you freeze. "Y/N, look at me"

"Conor, you don't have to be nice to me. I fucked up so I'll just go," you sighed not averting your gaze from the car window and you felt the tears building up in your eyes again. You reached for the door handle again when you heard a click signifying he'd locked the doors.

"Y/N, seriously look at me," knowing you had no other choice you turned your head and looked at him, "Why do you think you've fucked up?" he asked softly.

"Because I kissed you," you said barely loud enough for him to hear.

"And?" was all he said in response.

"And? And I kissed you Conor!" you exclaimed "I got so caught up in the thought of you actually loving me like I love you that I got carried away. Why don't you love me Conor?" you blurted out, when realised that you'd just said you quickly averted your gaze again.

"Y/N," he sighed and lifted your chin with his fingers so that you were looking at him again. "Of course I love"

You cut him off before he could finish his sentence, "I don't mean as a friend Conor."

"And neither do I. I never wanted to be just friends Y/N, it was just too soon after the last one for me and I couldn't take being broken again if it didn't work out. Then when I was ready for a relationship we were just too close, I couldn't bear to lose you."

"Really?" you asked shyly.

"Really," he replied with a smile. He moved his grip from under your chin to the back of your neck and pulled your head closer to his so that your lips met for the second time that evening. This time though you didn't pull away and the kiss was everything you expected kissing Conor would be and more, it was passionate yet gentle and undoubtedly the best kiss of your life.