Chapter 2- Genius

I sat in my math class staring at the white board. My eyes drifted down to my roommate. We had been in that class for at least forty minutes and that's all I had been doing; looking at my roommate.

He was writing. He looked up at the board then he looked back down at his book.

There was nothing on the board. I sighed. I was pretty sure this guy was a pyscho.

The professor put an equation on the board. "Now this may be a hard one. I'm not asking you to do it. At the end of this semester, I want you to be able to understand the question and how to get the answer.

I stared at the question. It seemed easy.

1 + 1 + 1 + 1+ 1
1 + 1 +1 + 1 + 1
1 +1 × 0 + 1= ?

A girl quickly raised her hand. "How is this a hard question? It's obviously, 12."

The professor smiled. "This is why I said before that I want you learn to understand what you see and not what you assume. We've been taught in school to rush our work for a deadline."

My roommate are slowly raised his hand.

"We look at the answers at the back of the book-," the professor looked at him and shook his head.

Oliver slowly put his hand down. "I'm sorry....but I think I know the answer."

"Really?,"the professor folded his arms. "This is one of the hardest questions...that I found online."

Everyone laughed.

"What makes you think that you've gotten it?"

"Because I figured it out while you talking."

"Okay, Sass."

Everyone snickered.

"No, I wasn't being-"

"Tell me, student. What is the answer?"

"Two,"he shrugged his shoulder.

The professor stared at him then he chuckled. "You looked it up, didn't you?"

The kid furrowed his brows then he opened his bag and pulled out his blank screened phone.

The professor squinted then he smiled. "What's your name kid?"

"Oliver."

"Okay, Oliver. How'd you get this answer? It took me a while to get it."

Oliver smiled then flinched like he'd made a mistake by doing that. "I think it's a bit obvious. Each line of the three lines are one above the other. They don't have plus signs connecting them, which means they aren't joined. The real equation is the last line. One plus one times zero plus one. That alone gives you two."

Everyone stared at him in confusion.

"Ohhh!,"one kid shouted when he got it.

We laughed then turned back to Oliver.

The professor squinted and smirked. "Where'd you go to school, Oliver?"

Oliver tapped his pen nervously. "I was..I was home schooled."

"Okay,"the professor looked at his watch. "I think I know what I'm doing with my son when he's born."

We all laughed.

Oliver just looked down at his book and tapped his pen.

"We have ten more minutes. Oliver, if I give you another equation to solve, do you think you would get it under five?"

Oliver smirked and nodded. "I can try."

"Great. If anyone else wants to try, you can go right ahead. They're easier than you think." The professor walked over to the board and started writing.

Oliver stared at the board with furrowed brows. The moment the first four numbers went up, a smile hit his face.

9806= 5
6281= 3
3008= ?
0134= 1
1000= ?

The professor turned and looked at him. "I just made this up. What's the answer, Oliver you have-"

"The first one is four and the last one three,"Oliver smiled.

The professor smiled. "How'd you get that answer?"

"It's the number of circles in each number,"Oliver stood up with his bag.

Everyone stared at him in amazement.

The professor nodded. "You're a smart kid. You think outside the box. I will see you guys tomorrow."

I slowly stood up. I held my bag and walked out of the room. Maybe he wasn't crazy.

*  *  *

I walked into my dorm room and put my bag down on my bed.

"You shouldn't do that."

I jumped and spun around looking over at Oliver.

He laid on his bed with his back facing me.

I furrowed my brows. "Do what?"

"Put your dirty bag on your bed."

"How'd you know-"

"I heard the thump when you slammed it down on the mattress."

I glared at the back of his head. Then I slowly put my bag on the floor making sure I didn't make a sound.

"You were in my math class today."

"You didn't even look back."

"I heard you answer when the professor was calling role."

Weird.

"You're really good with math," I sat on my bed trying to start conversation.

"I like math."

I didn't know what to say.

He slowly laid on his back. "You like art."

I cleared my throat. "I would ask you how you know that but you've probably got some good answer cooked up-"

"You're Flynn Skylar. I think everyone from back home knows who you are."

I had an "ah- that makes sense" moment in my head.

He furrowed his brows and his face seemed sad. He looked at me and sat up. "I'm sorry if I come off as odd. I'm not really good with other people...-It has nothing to do with me being home schooled though." He chuckled. "I'm the kind of home schooled kid who makes the rest look like total weirdos when they're actually normal."

I didn't know if I should laugh or stay still so..I just stayed still.

He looked at the floor then he looked at me. "I'm Oliver Letterman, by the way."

"I know,"I smirked feeling proud. "I'm heard the professor say it when he called the role too."

He smiled, then stood up. "Well, I guess I'm off to class." He walked over to the door and held the nob then he froze. "Do I say goodbye?"

"Uh-"

"I'm kidding. I'll see you later, Flynn." He opened the door and walked out of the room locking it back.

I sat on my bed both confused and amazed.

I quickly took my phone out.

Flynn: Harley? I think my roommate may be a genius.