Chapter 66- One Tea, Two Decafs and a Three O' Clock Wristwatch

Oliver P.O.V:

    I sat in the cafe constantly glancing at my watch. My eyes burned from mace and exhaustion. I hadn't slept since the flight and my mind was drifting. But Riley was wide awake.

    She sat with her arms folded and her legs wide as if she wanted Wallis to know that this meant business. This wasn't a three o'clock drink between friends. This was one tea, two decafs and all of the time in the world to hear what he had to say.

Wallis sat staring at his tea with sad eyes. We had been sitting there for at least fifteen minutes waiting for him to say something. I was on the brink of giving up but Riley wanted her answer. Why did he beat her the way he did?

My lids knocked together one more time before he finally spoke.

"My dad hit me."

I opened my eyes wide and sat up. "What?"

"I've been getting smacked around since I was seven..when my mom married him."

"The pastor?"

"No...The pastor's my real dad. Biological. I only visited the church with him. That's why you saw me next door half the time. My divorced mother remarried a rich lawyer. And my dad..the pastor's house...was my safe house. No pun intended."

Riley rolled her eyes. She wasn't convinced.

"Jeff, my mother's abusive husband didn't want a kid. He hated kids. But loved my mom enough to hit her like a punching bag,"he said through gritting teeth. "He convinced me that woman were worth nothing. All they were were walking toys. And when he hit her..she still stayed with him. It confused me...How could she let him hit her and still stay?"

Riley's eyes lowered.

"I said I would never hit a woman. But you came along. And you were just as vulnerable as my mother. You were desperate for love. For years I actually wanted to love you. But things went down south for me the first time I hit you."

"We were sixteen,"Riley pouted her lips as she spoke. She unfolded her arms and rested them on her kness. Her hands trembled and my heart broke.

I gently rested my hand on hers and looked at her.

She tangled her shaking fingers between mines and she sighed and looked at Wallis. "You scared me. You smacked me across my face and made me bite my cheek. It bled a lot for about a minute. You said you were sorry..My family loved you and you were my everything then..so I stayed."

"I just thought you were weak like my mother,"Wallis shrugged. Tears filled his eyes.

Riley looked down then she covered her mouth and began to weep.

I inhaled then I put my lips together and letting the cheek filling air seep through them. I turned to Riley and put my hand on her chin, turning her face towards me.

She looked into my eyes with tear filled ones. All I saw was pain and anger.

I frowned. I didn't like seeing her cry. I felt like joining her but I had to keep strong for them both.

Wallis bowed his head and began to weep with her. "I'm a criminal-"

"Yes!,"Riley shouted in the empty cafe.

The workers turned to us.

"You are a criminal. And you deserve to be locked up for what you did to me."

"What about every time you pushed Oliver off the swing-"

"That's different-"

"Every time you begged us to beat him up-"