Chapter 49- Eat Your Feelings

Flynn P.O.V:

      We all sat at the dinner table eating what Harley's mom and mine had struggled to cook. My mom and her parents joked about their high school experiences, but all I did was play with my food. I couldn't laugh.

Harley sat across from me with a blank look on her face. As washed as it was I could tell she had been crying.

I looked at her then I looked back down at my food.

Hers was untouched. She suddenly stood up. "May I be excused?"

"Harley-,"her mother shouted her name but she just walked away.

I quickly stood up. "Excuse me." I walked up the stairs after her. I  walked into her room, shutting the door behind my back. "Harley, I'm sorry."

"Sorry about what?,"she stared out the window.

"Everything I said to you."

"You were right-"

I knew I was.

"-about me not being there for you..putting my work before you. I know that I have to make a choice. But I can't. Not right now."

"I know, and I'm fine with that. I just don't want us to separate on a bad note."

"I'm leaving tomorrow."

"I'm leaving in two days."

"Oh,"Harley nodded once then she bowed her head.

"Let's go back downstairs and have dinner with our parents like nothing happened, okay?"

Harley stood up. "Yeah...Or,"she skipped over to the door and shut it. "We can just make out for a while?"

"Harley,"I tilted my head.

She followed.

"Okay, fine."

"Yay!"

"But only because I haven't made out with anything in a while."

*  *  *

Oliver P.O.V:

      I walked down the sidewalk to my house trying to pretend to be fine. I couldn't let my mother see her man- child crying like...a man-child.

     I stopped walking when I saw Danny. She and her parents were getting into their car. I quickly turned around and started to walk away again.

"Oliver!,"she shouted running after me. She grabbed my arm and spun me around.

I glared down at her.

"I..I was angry. You didn't have to stay outside till dark-"

"No one came to look for me."

"Because I told them you were at the park-"

"No. Because no one cares."

She held my hand but I yanked it away. "Don't cry, Oliver. I'm sorry-"

"I don't want to waste your time so please...don't waste it on me.

She frowned and bowed her head. "I guess we're over right-"

"Yes, Danny."

She nodded. "Okay. I'll see you around then-"

"Yeah."

She turned to walk away but I grabbed her hand.

"Wait."

She looked at me.

"When you get back...there's something I need you to do for me."

"When I get back?"

"To school..In my dorm, there's a letter taped under my top drawer. Could you please mail it to my parents?"

"Why don't you? I don't understand-"

"You will."

"Oliver-"

"Please? It's the last thing I will ever ask you to do."

She stared at me. "Fine."

I nodded then I quickly wiped my cheek. "Thank you."

She walked away.

I watched her get into her car. She drove off with her parents, staring at me through the window. I sighed then I walked into my house.

Everyone sat in the living room laughing and eating while watching "The Sound of Music".

My mother's smile faded when she saw me. She quickly stood up.

Everyone turned to me.

"Oliver? In the kitchen."

I did as I was told and headed for the kitchen with my head bowed.

My mother pinched my arm the moment she walked inside.

"Ouch,"I started to cry.

"Stop it. I didn't pinch you that hard." She pulled a chair out. "Sit down."

I slowly sat.

She sat infront of me. "You ask me to invite your girlfriend and her parents for thanksgiving dinner and then you runaway and stay in some park all afternoon? What were you even doing?"

I shrugged.

"Don't shrug,"she hit my arm. "Tell me why you were there-"

"Because I'm tired of everyone thinking something is wrong with me and looking at me like I'm a disappointment. I'm getting straight A's this semester-"

"Skipping classes."

"While I've been skipping classes. I haven't done anything wrong-"

"Have you been going to churh?"

I shut my mouth.

"Oliver, you're only a disappointment because you make yourself one." She stood up.

"Danny and I broke up by the way."

"Because that's what you deserve. Go shower and then join the rest of us when you're done." She walked out of the kitchen.

I slowly stood up. That wasn't my intention.

I watched the rest of my family sing along to the songs in the movie like something wasn't missing, then I walked over to the basement and unlocked the door.