Chapter 20- Words on a Piece of Paper

Harley P.O.V:

      I sat on my bed staring at my book. My brain felt clogged and I felt sick of it. Sick of studying.

Zoe sat on her bed with a vape pen. All she had been doing was getting high for the past month. It was like all the work she'd been doing for the eighteen years she had been alive had finally pushed her over the edge.

It annoyed me...and my exhaustion didn't help me tolerate it.

I slammed my book shut and turned to her. "Zoe, come on."

"Wow?,"she turned to me and tilted her head. "You finally called me my actual name. I actually got accustomed to being called bitch."

I sighed. "I'm sorry."

"I know,"she smiled. "You're tired."

"And mad at you. Why drop out?"

"Because school is a waste of time. We get nothing but a paper out of it. A paper with words on it that tells us what we can and can't do. Half the freaking time, people study and study and study and then become over qualified for the job they want. I want to bake cakes. Why the hell should I spend years in college?"

"So you can earn a degree in culinary arts."

"My mother is a baker. I grew up in the kitchen. I know everything there is to know. Why should I depend on a piece of paper that says "Zoe degree in culinary arts"?"

"To get a freakin' job. Zoe, life is too short to waste years of hard work-"

"I'm not staying here any longer. Besides that, I'm not even studying a major that will help me fulfill my dream. I'm wasting my time here, Harley."

"No, you wasted my time."

She snorted. "What are you talking about-"

"I'm covered in papers and text books. I have so much work to give in that I can't even take my hour sleep without dreaming about failing. You packed my schedule this way because you said it would help me get out of college quickly. I don't want to rush and fail-"

"Harley,"she tilted her head, then she got up from her bed and walked over to me. She sat down in front of me. "You asked me to set up your schedule that way so you could get out of college faster. You wanted to be with Flynn back home."

"I still do, but I can't speed through college. I need these qualifications."

She nodded. "I understand...Have you ever realized that our whole life is runned by paper?"

I furrowed my brows then sighed and shook my head. "Zoe-"

"We spend paper on college to get a paper that will give us the qualifications to sit in an office and sign papers all day."

I stared at her.

She stretched her vape pen out to me. "Do you wanna try it?"

"The devil's plant? I think I'm fine."

"The devil's plant,"she laughed. "Where'd you get that?"

"From you."

"...Oh... Come on Harley. It won't do you any harm whatsoever. I mean, look at me. There's nothing wrong with me."

"You're dropping out of college."

She stared at me, then she giggled.

I shook my head then I stared at the pen. "I have a test in fifteen. And asthma."

"I guarantee you, the test has a higher chance of giving you an asthma attack than vaping. Besides, it's not strong."

I hesitated a bit then I took it. I put the pen to my lips and sucked in. Then I sat still waiting for the high to kick in.

"Great. You did it. Anyway, God on the other hand,"Zoe continued to talk," he's a genius. He wrote the ten commandments on stone."

"Badass,"I exhaled and smiled.

"Yeah...He is."

I giggled then I stood up. "I have to go do my History exam now. So..bye."

Zoe furrowed her brows at me. "Bye?"

I waved at her and walked into the door. Then I giggled and pointed at the door. "Silly door. Trix are for kids." I looked at Zoe and laughed but she just stared with a nervous smile.