Chapter 64- Listen Then Speak

Oliver P.O.V:

I sat in a car staring at the darkness. Whatever covered my eyes prevented me from knowing where I was or where I was going. And the cords around my hands didn't help.

The frat boys in the car joked about how stupid Daniella was for doing this. "She could've done so much worse to this kid,"one of them laughed.

"He just cheated on Danny,"I heard Wallis say beside me. "You don't even know which girl your with is your real girlfriend."

I snorted and shook my head.

"What's so funny?,"the guy driving said with an angry tone.

"Honesty,"I shrugged,"I have no idea what's funnier. The fact that I'm six foot four crammed in a little car with a bunch of frat boys in my underwear or that this isn't my worse night."

"You're some college girls' dream right there, man,"the guy beside me said with what I see as a sexist implication.

"Shut up, Mark,"the driver said sounding even angrier. "What do you consider your worse night exactly?,"his tone softened.

"The question should be when,"I sat upright,"and it wasn't too long ago. I'll tell you if you take off my blindfold. Wouldn't care if you didn't. My eyes are burning and that's the only thing, other than you two sweater covered frat boys sitting beside me, that's keeping me warm."

Wallis chuckled.

Mark on the other hand got pretty annoyed. "No, we're not gonna take off your blindfold, you cu-"

"Mark!,"the driver shouted. "Take them off."

"WHAT?"

"I wanna know what night could've been worse for little homeschooled than tonight."

Mark groaned then I felt my blindfold slip off. I blinked a few times then I sighed. "Well, other than the day I was born, two weeks ago was my worse freaking night." I stared at the road straight ahead. "I'm not asking for sympathy because you obviously have none if you think a girl would like to be half naked in a car with a bunch of guys."

"Says the guy,"Mark chuckled and turned to his window shaking his head.

I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, death was my fate because you guys are obviously driving me to some ditch to kill me-"

"Dude,"the quit guy in the front finally opened his mouth. "Do you really think we have time to kill you? You said it yourself. You're a giant who just cheated on your girlfriend. I've cheated plenty. At least you felt bad about it."

I shrugged. "I guess you're right-"

"Okay,"the driver shouted," guys, could you shut up and let the guy speak? Kid, could you please finish explaining to us what night was so bad?"

"Sure...I cut my arm and tried to drown myself."

The car got quiet.

"And the worse part about that night is that I didn't die."

"Did you woos out?,"Mark snorted.

"Oh my- Mark!,"the driver shouted.

"I didn't woos out,"I shook my head, then I stared at my hands. "My best friend saved me."

"When did this happen?,"Wallis said with concern in his voice.

"Thanksgiving night. Had a lot of thanks that night for God-"

"Why didn't church the hear about this? Why'd your mom not ask us to pray like she always does-"

"Because this was none of the church's business. They always want to know what's going on with you so they can discuss your life like a book club. I know the church is for sinners, but we're supposed to help each other get better..not worse."

"My mom used to say the same thing,"the driver looked at me in the rear view mirror. "Church hypocrites are like alcoholics at rehab sharing out bottles of vodka."

"That's a smart way to put it,"I smiled at him.

He stared at me with squinted eyes, then he suddenly swerved the car and started driving the other way.

"Hey!,"Mark shouted. "What the hell are you doing?"

"We're going home. This kid doesn't deserve this-"

"Obviously not, but it's fun."

"Would you think it was if it were you?"

Mark opened his mouth to answer.

"You know what. Don't answer that. Because if it were you, I would drop you off in the middle of the street to walk home."

I raised my brows. That's what they were going to do to me? I had just gotten over pneumonia. I would've died out there.

"I'm Toby, by the way,"the driver gave me a quick smirk.

"Cool,"I said trying to act like what I said.

"Whatever you're feeling right now, channel it into something else. Do something you enjoy. That pain will pass if you think positive and learn to channel your emotions into the things you love."

"Don't mind him,"the guy beside him shook his head. "He's an artist. He has somewhere to put that anger. Me, I kick box."

"And Wallis hits his girlfriends,"Mark said before letting out a creepy high pitched laugh.

The other guys said nothing but Wallis seemed ashamed.

I looked at him at the corner of my eye.

He sighed then he looked at me. "I don't.. I didn't hit them because I'm a bad guy. I mean..I'm a bad guy...But I.."

"Don't get all sappy, Wall-E,"Mark shook his head. "We don't need anymore man tears tonight. Or should I say boy-"

"You're right,"I turned to him and nodded. "You've cried enough for all of us-"

"Can I choke this guy out? I really wanna choke this guy out."

"I wanted to choke myself out a few weeks ago so you're skinny never-worked-a-day hands won't faze me one bit."

"You forgot privileged,"Toby laughed.

Mark scuffed then he turned away.

I looked at Wallis. "Do you wanna get coffee?"

"Tomorrow-"

"Tonight."

He furrowed his brows. "Why would we-"

"I've learned that the moment you feel like talking about what's going on inside your head..is the best time to let it out. And you want to speak. So like Toby-,"I looked at him in the mirror.

He smirked.

"-I want to listen."

"Okay,"Wallis' voice cracked. "...Thank you."

"Sure."