Chapter 16- She's No Riley

Oliver P.O.V:

     Flynn and I walked into the cafe and by the way he looked I could tell he wasn't going to be in it. He seemed pretty distant during our drive there.

     My eyes immediately landed on Riley. She sat in the booth opposite Hayden and someone else. They were laughing..and her smile was bright. Then she saw me and it quickly faded to wide eyes. She gave me a slight wave and awkward shrug.

I pursed lips and waved back then I started following Flynn.

We stood at the table and my stomach dropped to the floor. Danny was already at the cafe. She sat beside Hayden. Which meant my only seating choice was either on his other side or beside Riley.

Flynn looked at me giving me his "don't make this awkward" look. A look I had become too familiar with.

I slowly sat beside Riley with an awkward smile. I could tell she was uncomfortable by the way her shoulders cringed. Embarrassed? I was. Able to move? I was not.

Flynn sat beside Hayden with a dead look in his eyes.

Riley noticed it and leaned closer to me. "Is Flynn okay?,"she looked at him then up at me.

I looked at her then at Danny.

She smiled.

"He is,"I lied trying to get Riley to not bother me. And unfortunately, with her experience of being the unwanted one she noticed.

She looked at me then at Danny then she looked down and sat back.

And then my heart sank like it usually did around her. She was jealous. At that time I didn't think it was because she liked me but I knew her being excluded and ignored had something to do with it. So, under the table, like the compassionate idiot I was, I held her hand, tangling my fingers in hers.

She turned to me.

"I'll explain later, okay?"

She nodded and smirked then she turned away.

Danny suddenly nudged Hayden's shoulder and whispered something in his ear.

Before I knew it, he and Flynn were sliding out of the seat to let her pass.

She sat beside me and I immediately let go of Riley's hand.

Riley's face washed with disappointment.

Danny smiled at me. "Hi."

I stared at her then smiled. "Hi." I couldn't feel it anymore. I liked her but that feeling I had when I first saw her was gone. She just seemed like a pretty girl to me now. A pretty girl that would look nice on my arm. I wanted to get to know her but not hold her hand or kiss her when she felt down...She was no Riley to me. Sadly, at that second..the second Wallis appeared I remembered immediately why I didn't want her. She was with him.

Danny tucked her arm in mine and I smiled at her. I had her. She wasn't my girlfriend yet but she thought I was a gentleman and all I had to do was ask her. That was all I had to do. Why was that so hard to do?

I looked at Riley as she watched her boyfriend sit beside Flynn. She looked scared.

He smiled. "Hey Everyone. Riley,"he nodded at her.

She quickly looked down with furrowed brows.

I stared at her then I looked at him.

"So,"he looked at Hayden. "Where's the pizza?"

"Ordered,"Hayden said bluntly.

Did something happen?

"Whoa, Hayden. No need to be aggressive here. Heck, I'm the one who should be aggressive."