Chapter 67- We're All Mad Here

Flynn P.O.V:

    Sylvia laid curled up on my bed. I sat on Oliver's waiting for her to wake up. He decided to stay with Riley for the night since they had had a bit of a fight. So I let Sylvia sleep, knowing she would wake up with a hangover.

The sun lit up the room, and she slowly sat up. She yawned, running her hand over her face, then she stretched her arms out.

"Hey,"I smiled at her.

She furrowed her brows. "Hi?" She looked around the room. "Am I at-"

"Yep."

She smirked. "Did we-"

"No- Thank God."

"Really? Offended here."

"I have a girlfriend. And I'm not a cheater."

"I hear you. Where's Oliver?"

"At your dorm with Riley."

"Hmm," Sylvia pouted her lips. "That means she used my bed. Since I have have a single dorm."

"Lucky you."

"Sure. If you think being alone with no friends is fun."

"From what I saw yesterday, it seemed to me like you had a lot of friends."

"Don't mean to be a cliché but those aren't real friends. Never had any."

I nodded once trying not to mock her. No one ever has real friends because everyone else is that "good friend". 

"All these suckers do is shove drinks in your face so you can be the life of their parties."

I furrowed my brows and stared at her changing my prediction of where the conversation was going.

"You saw them last night, didn't you? I didn't grab that drink. One of Wallis' buddies handed it to me..,"she looked down. "I'm a seventeen year old alcoholic. Who's rich dad happened to keep that a secret so I can get into this dumb college. But we all know frat boys. They know every girls' freaking weaknesses."

I didn't know what to say to her.

"For a place where protesters scream about equality and peace, no one seems to care about the other person until they're in the very same situation."

I felt bumps cover my skin. This just kept happening to me. Depressed kids forming little friendship groups with me, being attracted to me like I was some kind of therapist. I thought that was it at first. I thought that every kid wanted Flynn's help. I thought I was the good friend. That they saw something in me.

But Sylvia came along. And she knew nothing about me, other than rumors and stories about Flynn Skylar. Yet she confided in me. She decided to open up to me.

Why did she open up to me?

I stared at her only hearing muffled sounds coming from her mouth. I couldn't hear a word she was saying over my confused questioning of why me. Then I opened my mouth. "Why are you telling me this?"

She squinted at me. "Huh?"

"Why are you so open with me?"

She suddenly giggled. "Don't feel special, Flynn. I've told plenty of guys about my "depression". Heck, I've told a guy on a first date about my accident."

"What accident?"

"I just told you."

"You..did?"

"You weren't listening, were you?"

I gulped. "No."

"That's fine. I just wanted to rant."

"So..why are you telling me this stuff?"

"To be honest, sympathy is the only reason why people like me. I'm talentless, and not really smart. Besides that, I'm Christian and we both know a lot of people think Christians are morons for having hope. I'm uninteresting and telling people about my problems makes me interesting."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

She shook her head. "Tell that to the rest of the world. Right now, eleven and nine year old kids are killing themselves and cutting themselves so that people would pay attention to them. They have social media accounts and believe that their three followers are their fans. They put bisexual and gay in their self description boxes because they think that being gay is a trend and not the way you were born. We're all being brainwashed, Flynn. Down to the little kids. We're all so confused that we look to each other for help when we're all dummies trying to help dummies."

I don't know what face I made that made her tilt her head and smile, but she did, slowly tucking her hair behind her ear.

"I'm telling you this because I know that you can relate to me. Just like every other questioning teen out there. We're all depressed, Flynn. We're all confused. We just don't admit it and rely on suicide jokes to cope."

She slowly stood.

"Thanks. For letting me sleep here? Your bed's cozy."

"Sure,"I frowned.

"I'm gonna head to the cafeteria-"

"So you told me about all of that stuff because you think I'm depressed?"

She sighed.

"I'm not. I've been to therapy and I'm on meds-"

"I know. You hide them in your underwear drawer."

I furrowed my brows.

"I saw you put them in there once. Don't judge me. I thought they were drugs...You hide them from Oliver like you're not on the same boat. But you are. Hope your girlfriend's noticed...Bye, Flynn." She walked out of the room.

I sat on Oliver's bed staring at the wall over mine. Tears burned my eyes. Anti-depressants my ass. I wasn't depressed and some silly brunette with a drinking problem wasn't going to convince me that I was. Because I wasn't.

*  *  *

Hey guys. Just letting you know about my new book "Let's Be Super". I'm hoping that this book will get published in the future, since I will be making a comic book based on it. It's not your normal superhero book and it touches topics that will hopefully help other youth between 14 and 22 deal with issues that we all seem to face in this day and age. I REALLY NEED YOUR SUPPORT in getting this book out there. So please..PLEASE..help me out. Thanks guys.