Chapter 54- Funny Suicide

Flynn P.O.V:

          Riley and I sat together impatiently waiting with Oliver's parents. They sat in the far end of the waiting room, just weeping.

Riley stared at them like she was staring at the devil himself. She glared at them with red eyes that glistened with tears. "I hate them."

I furrowed my brows. "Why?"

"Because they will always blame me. I'm the bully who kept pushing him to do it."

I didn't know what to say. We both didn't know why he did it and for me to say that she wasn't a part of it would most likely be a lie.

"I know I hurt him. I know I may have pushed him to hate himself in some way but they did this too....They made him the way he is."

"I think Oliver has a part to play in his own problems also. We don't know what they might have done-"

"I do. I know what they might have done. Because I watched all of it happen. Oliver made the park his escape. He came a certain time everyday to cry on the swings and everyone else thought it was weird and funny. Wallis felt bad about it because he knew... he knew things we didn't. I just hated him so much that I didn't care. I would shove him off the swing because I wanted him to hurt even more. I was so selfish,"she began to cry again. "But he never left the park. As much as I teased him and beat him...he never left. Because he couldn't go home."

I looked at his parents.

"I remember..one day, he ran away from church and came to the park...We were both fifteen and I had stopped bullying him as much as I did before... That day I went to the park alone to read and I sat on the top of the slide with my book... He showed up in tears..and he was talking to someone.. shouting at something. I thought it was funny so I decided to tape him with my phone...But the more I listened..I realized that he was praying..and he was so angry. He was cussing about why God had put him in the situation he was in with his mother...I believed in God, but I hadn't prayed in so long and I found what a was doing so strange. He was so sad and he just wept and I continued to record him. My heart felt so heavy.. I wanted to hug him and tell him that I would be there for him, but I was scared of what people would think about be..with him. So, I watched him cry. And then his mother showed up and she spanked him right there for running away from church. She never cared to ask him why. He was just another bratty teenager."

"He was suffering."

"And I didn't care, because I went right back to bullying him after that. For years. I watched him get taller and better looking and all I cared about was that and how silly I was for not being nice to him. Instead of trying to be nice to him because he was hurting, I thought I should be nice to him because he was attractive...What is wrong with me?,"she shook her head.

"What's wrong with all of us?,"I rubbed her back. "We care more about image than anything else. We need to treat each other better. See beyond status and color and all the other bs."

She giggled staring at her hands. "You know..just recently, I joked about wanting to die. I said I was so sick of my classes that I would love a gun in my hand so I could just end it. And Via's friends laughed with me." She looked at me. "I didn't even think about the fact that there are actual people who want to die. People suffering from real life mental illnesses. All I've been doing is claiming to have bipolar depression and joking about my O.C.D when people are really suffering from these things. We're so brainwashed into thinking that mental illness makes you cooler when it doesn't...It makes life harder."

I nodded then I frowned.

"You never see these things until the person you love is suffering because you joked about dying." She suddenly turned to Oliver's parents. She stood up.

"Riley?,"I looked up at her. "What are you doing?"

She ignored me and walked over to them.

They looked up at her.

"I..,"I shut her eyes then she took a deep breath and held her head high. "I'm in love with your son. And I don't care if you think I'm some kind of problem. Oliver's been there for me the entire semester..He's been with me through every problem that I've had and I'm going to be here for him. I don't care if you want me to leave. I love him..and I'm staying."

I held my breath, waiting for Mrs. Crowley's reaction.

She just stared at Riley in disbelief.

Riley turned around and started to walk back over to me then she quickly made a turn and started racing down the hallway.

I stood up.

She walked into the bathroom with her hand over her mouth.

I slowly sat back down with furrowed brows. Where had my love for Harley gone? I used to have so much love for her that I was willing to drop everything and run to her. I was willing to tie her shoelace when she could've done it herself. But the spark wasn't there anymore. I didn't care anymore. I didn't want to drop everything for her like I used to. I didn't want to drop my school books in a puddle to make she didn't trip on her laces. I didn't care.