Chapter 44- The Role of Communication

Flynn P.O.V:

      Riley glared at me. Then she stood up and looked down at Oliver with an obviously fake smile. "Great. You're fine then. I'll be in my dorm if you need me-"

"Wait,"I stood up. "You're leaving?"

"Yes. I am. I skipped class because I thought..something was wrong. But nothing is. Right?,"she said bluntly to Oliver causing him to flinch.

He furrowed his brows. "Did I do something?"

"No,"I shook my head. "Riley's just..being a moron. You're right, Riley. You should leave."

She pointed at me and opened her mouth to say something then she shut it and walked over to the door.

When she opened it, Danny stood with a held up fist, ready to knock on the door. She looked up at Riley and a glare hit her eyes.

Riley looked at me, then she walked out of the room.

Danny walked inside and walked over to Oliver, holding his hand and rubbing his back.

He looked at her as if she was crazy. "What are you doing?"

"Making sure you're okay,"a sympathetic smile hit her cheeks.

"Okay? Okay about what?"

"I don't know,"she shrugged. "I just don't like Riley around you anymore. She gives me a bad feeling...like she wants to hurt you."

"What are you talking about?"

"You should stay away from her."

Oliver looked at me.

I shrugged. I didn't know what was happening either.

"You guys shared a room last weekend right?"

Oliver turned pale. "Yes...But-"

"You guys slept on separate beds and she didn't try to get more out of you."

I sat still on my bed watching Oliver's blood drain out of his skin. His eyes sparkled with tears. "I'm gonna..go..take a walk." I stood up and walked out of the room shutting door behind my back. I held the nob and sighed shutting my eyes. Oliver was screwed. He was mentally screwed. This was too much for him and my selfish heart prayed that Danny saw that and decided to forgive him.

*  *  *

Oliver P.O.V:

     I stared at Danny trying my best to not cry. But she looked at me with so much disappointment that I couldn't  fight it.

"I already know what she did to you,"she looked down. "Wallis told me everything on Sunday."

I furrowed my brows. "I don't..I don't understand how-"

"Riley called Wallis after she slept with you. She told him that you two had what she called revenge sex. He said she cried like a baby. She felt the embarrassed about it...about you."

"That doesn't make any sense-"

"She doesn't care about you Oliver. But I do. I understand you and I know you didn't do this. She made you do this-"

"No she didn't-"

"She's sick and selfish and she hurt you. I'm not selfish. Since the day we started dating you seemed distant. It didn't feel like we were really together because I put myself foward and you didn't. Monday, before I came to pick you up at the airport, I decided that I would pretend that I was fine and that I didn't know. I wanted to ignore it. But I've changed my mind. We need to communicate more. I'm willing to put your mistake behind us. As long as you cut Riley off."

I stared at her. Her ultimatum was reasonable, but I couldn't give up Riley. I loved Riley. "I.." I was only thinking about myself and what I wanted. Riley didn't want me. She had already told me that. And her fake smile and forced acts of kindness made it obvious. She wanted me to leave her alone. "I'll tell her that we can't-"

"No. You don't have to tell her anything. Don't talk to her at all. If you have anything to tell her...tell me."

I nodded feeling tears running down my cheeks. Once Riley found out what I'd done, she would leave me anyway. It was bound to happen.

"Come here, big guy,"Danny wrapped her arms around me.

I wept on her shoulder. But not because I felt guilty. It was because it had finally happened. I had given in to the universe's pull and given up on Riley.