Chapter 14

Emma's pov

Henry, my parents, and I all say quick goodbyes and rush out into the night. When we hit the sidewalk, we slow to a walk and head to the docks. We walk in silence as we all gather our thoughts.

My parents are walking ahead of me and Henry, and I can tell that they're nervous. I speed up so that I'm between them and place a friendly arm on both of their shoulders.

"It's going to be ok, you know?"

Both of my parents offer me sad smiles.

"She's going to think we abandoned her."

I shake my head with confidence.

"I won't let her."

They both look at me in shock and then smile, they're genuine this time.

"You've changed so much since you found us, Emma," my mother says, stopping to wrap me in a hug that my father and son join in on.

When we break apart, my parents and I wipe our tears and continue to the docks. All I can think about is my sister.

It's time to officially welcome her to the family.

We arrive at the docks and I begin to hear a beautiful, soft voice singing. I glance to my family and they seem to have noticed too. I see it's coming from a spot that's hidden by crates. I quietly creep around the pile with my parents and son close behind.

I can now make out the lyrics. I can tell it's a Rascal Flatts' song.

When I was little, I was in a foster home that would always play country music. Rascal Flatts, Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, it didn't matter.

I set out on a narrow way

Many years ago

Hoping I would find true love

Along the broken road

But I got lost a time or two

Whipped my brow and kept pushing through

I couldn't see how every sign

Pointed straight to you

Now that I think about it, she's sounds pretty much like Carrie Underwood. Wow, this person can sing.

We get to a point where we can see. Lying on top of a large box and singing up to the sky with a guitar in her hand is none other than my sister, Scara Rose.

Every long lost dream

Led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart

They were like Northern Stars

Pointing me on my way

Into you're loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent

Just passing through

I'd like to have the time I lost

I'd give it back to you