Chapter 49

David's pov

To say I'm nervous is an understatement. My daughter is in the same room as a serial killer, trying to apprehend him. I know she's probably done this a million times by now, but still. I'm her father; I will always worry about her, no matter how experienced she is.

"Hayden Grubbs, let him go and put your hands where I can see them."

Instead of doing as Agent Rossi said, he reaches over and grabs a knife and puts it against the man's throat.

"I can't do that," the so called 'unsub' states, "he has my daughter."

Even though this man is doing horrible things to innocent people, I can't help, but feel bad for him. His life is falling apart because of the death of his only child. I don't have one child, I have three, but I still know the pain caused from the loss of one.

For hours, we had felt that Scara Rose was lost to us. We had watched her 'move on' to a better place, but she was still gone.

He doesn't know the things we know. He doesn't have absolute proof that there's an afterlife. He doesn't know for sure that Heaven exists.

Plus his child was brutally murdered at age 6.

I'd like to think if that ever happened to me and my family that I wouldn't become like him, but I can't honestly say that. I would have this family for support, but that can eat away at your mind, just like this man.

My youngest daughter looks the man in the eyes as she puts her gun away.

"WHAT THE HELL IS SHE DOING?!" I yell instantly as Snow wraps an arm around me.

"We have to trust she knows what she's doing," my wife calmly says, "We have to trust her."

"HE COULD THROW THAT KNIFE AT HER!"

We all turn our attention back to the screen as we hear my youngest daughter begin to speak.

"Hayden," Scara says to get his attention, "that man doesn't have your daughter."

"Yes he does. He won't tell me where she is."

"Hayden, your daughter is dead."

The man has a conflicted look on his face, but he quickly shakes it off.

"No, he was there. I saw him."

"You saw a man, but it wasn't him."

Scara slowly pulls out a picture from her pocket. It's a picture of a man.

"This is the man that took your daughter. The man you saw at the rest stop. The man who killed your little girl."

We can see from our point of view on the screen that Scara's logic is starting to get to his head. His brain just keeps on refusing to believe it.

"No she's alive, and I'm going to find her."

"Hayden, you did find her. Don't you remember the volunteer search group?"

Grubbs looks like he's suddenly remembered. He has tears in his eyes as he shakes his head.

"No," he says as his voice cracks, then gaining more strength, "no. That wasn't her, you know that. You're just protecting this monster."

"Hayden, I would never protect a man who kills innocent children."

Eh, that probably hurt her more to say than she's letting on to.

My thoughts are confirmed, Scara starts to lightly rub her chest, right where the bullet went through her. Even with this though, she still continues to speak.

"You know, your daughter was a lot like me."

"How?" The man says with distrust, tightening his grip on the knife and the man.

"We were both killed by deranged men," I think.

"When I was a little younger than her, I learned how to sing that song that she sang for you. The one she sang at the talent show."

His eyes go soft as his tight loosens slightly on the knife, but not enough for him to drop it. Scara gives him a small smile as she continues.

"The song she practiced day and night to learn. The one that she just couldn't wait to sing to you. I watched the tape. She was staring at you the whole time."

"You know that song?"

Scara nods her head as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"I learned it for someone special too. I also practiced it, and I still watch the tape of me singing it to her."

The man looks to my daughter with pleading eyes.

"Will you sing it?"

Oh, hell no.

Several team members move to stop her, but she holds up her hand.

"Only if you let him go first, he's innocent."

The man lets go of the man, but he puts the knife against his own throat.

"Please," he begs, "I need to hear it."

A few more tears roll down my daughter's cheeks as she begins to sing.

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are grey

You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away

Scara pauses for a moment as more tears roll down her cheeks.

It takes me a moment but I finally remember this song. It was a clip that they put in her memorial video. She was singing to that girl that was in the pictures with her when Scara was little. She mentioned that she was an old friend, but i can't help feel like something bad must have happened to her.

The other night, dear

As I lay sleeping

I dreamed I held you

In my arms

When I awoke, dear

I was mistaken

And I hung my head and cried

I'll always love you

And make you happy

If you will only

Stay the same

But if you leave me

To love another

You'll regret it all someday

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are grey

You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away