Chapter 65

Scara's pov

I wake up to the smell of chocolate chip pancakes cooking. I feel warm, soft puffs of air blowing through my hair. I slowly turn my head to see Chris is huddled close to me, softly snoring onto my scalp. Every time I feel his breath against my skin, a shiver runs up my spine.

As much as I wish we could stay like this forever, I'm starving.

I shift slowly and gently so that Chris stays asleep beside me. I take my hand and gently swipe his puppy soft hair off his face. I watch as his eyes flutter open. His eyes wander until they fall on mine. A loving smile spreads across his face.

"Well good morning to you too."

I giggle and sit up, pulling Chris with me.

"Come on, I'm starving."

Chris laughs at my food needs. I pull him into a quick kiss before I grab my bag of candy and clothes and head to the bathroom. I change into a simple pair of jeans and long sleeve shirt, and I put my hair in its signature braid.

"Clear."

I walk back into the room to see Chris in his usual attire of jeans, button up shirt, and dark jeans jacket. I discreetly check for the bag of gummy worms in my pocket, and then connect hands with Chris to walk down the stairs. We see my mother and brother sitting at the bar, as my father makes pancakes.

"Well something smells good," I say to get their attention.

They all turn to me with bright smiles. Funny, they don't seem too surprised to see Chris with me. I bring myself out of thoughts as I sit beside my mom.

Neal looks at me with his bright little eyes and raises his arms.

"Never fails," Mom laughs, as she hands him to me.

We all laugh as I bounce Neal in my lap, which causes him to giggle also.

"How'd you two sleep?" Dad asks.

"Good, how did you know he was here?" I ask suspiciously.

"We didn't," my mother says, overcompensating.

"I'm a profiler, who studies human behavior. I can spot a lie a mile away."

"You seriously have to teach us that," Mom says, as Dad sets a plate full of pancakes down in front of all three of us, "that way I can tell when your father lies about taking out the trash."

"HEY."

We all share an amused chuckle, before I go serious again.

"Of course. First tip; don't change the subject to avoid a question. It's a sign of discomfort which goes with lying."

Mom blushes as Dad laughs.

"Chris was not very quiet when he came in last night."

I plaster an amused smirk on my face and turn to face Chris, who has a 'caught' expression on his face. I can't help but laugh.

"So Scara," Dad says, getting some extra plates, "Do you like chocolate chip pancakes?"

"Never had them."

"Well you're going to love them; they're sort of my specialty."

"Show off," Mom mumbles, just before she takes a sip of her hot cocoa.

"You burn them," Dad states.

My mom blushes as we laugh again. I don't think I've ever laughed this much in my entire life. Now it's like I laugh every five minutes.

I love it.