Chapter 70

Scara's pov

We arrive at the dress shop and I feel my pulse quicken at the sight of the dresses. Every one shows at least a little back and some even show some stomach too.

I'm pulled out from my worries as my mother goes up to the desk near the front. A woman with a name tag that says "Astrid," smiles as she sees her.

"Snow, good to see you again," she says.

"You too," Mom respond, as Astrid comes around the desk to greet us.

"Emma, I haven't seen you since the first curse broke. Congratulations by the way."

"Thanks," Emma grins, as Astrid comes to me.

"You must be Scara Rose" she says, shaking my hand "I'm Astrid. I was a fairy before all this happened. You're mother has told me only wonderful things about you."

"Thank you," I say, sneaking a quick glance at my mother, "It's nice to meet you."

"Mom, how many times have you been here?" Emma asks, raising an eyebrow.

Our mom blushes before she answers.

"Three times," she answers as Emma and I raise our eyebrows, "but it was for good reasons. I already have a few ideas."

Emma and I look to each other and grin at Mom's giddiness. She is definitely overly excited about this.

Astrid leads us all toward the back where there are fitting rooms with mirrors as walls all around. She leads us to an area with two doors side by side. Emma's name is on the dry erase board on the door, while mine is on the door next to it.

To the side of each door is a small rack that already has wedding gowns hanging on it.

"Your mom," Astrid tells Emma and I as she opens the doors for us, "already had a few ideas in mind, and asked me to set these dresses aside for you. Just pick one and go try it on.

Emma slowly walks to her door, but I can't move. I've been frozen into place as soon as my eyes landed on the dresses. All of them show at least my shoulder blades.

I can't wear these.

The scars from my past are literally all over me. My back though is the worst. They have faded over the last few years, but they are still there and noticeable.

Because the weather in Maine is always cold enough for at least a long sleeve shirt, I haven't had an issue about showing skin, until now.

The only person who knows about my scars is Chris. It's not that I don't trust anyone but him. I just don't like to openly talk about it. I was going to tell my sister if she ever asked or mentioned having a few of her own, but it has never happened.

I can think of several reasons why I can't wear any of these. The biggest reason is my parents. I can see a burning pain in their eyes every time the past is mentioned. They don't know much about our pasts, but they still feel deep regret for what happened to both of us.

It kills me and my sister to see it. If they saw the harsh, detailed scars on my back or even the ones on my stomach from when I died, they would...I don't even want to imagine the pain they would feel.

"Scar, are you okay?" My sister asks, as she turns away from the door and walks back to me.

On instinct, I flinch at the nickname.

My sister and I have always abbreviated the others name and said it has sort of a nickname. I've always loved it, and Emma's never said or done anything that would make me think she didn't hers as well.

I know she didn't mean it, but the word just makes the situation even more real for me.

I need to get out of here, fast.

"Yeah," I say, backing up a step and coming up with a lie, "this is just a little overwhelming. I'm going to go get some air."

I don't even wait for a response as I try to walk as calmly as possible out of the shop. As soon as I'm outside and out of sight from the display window, I pick up the pace and dash to the docks. I find a bench and sit down, staring at the peaceful ocean in front of me.

As the ocean breeze blows through my hair and the smell of the sea calms my senses, I suddenly get an idea.

There's got to be at least a temporary spell to cover up body imperfections.

I use my magic to make one of my loaned magic books appear on my lap.

Just before Chris proposed, I borrowed a few books on magic from Belle. For me, studying magic is one of the best and most efficient ways to spend my downtime. I'm also incredibly curious about it.

Because of the wedding planning, I haven't had time to even open the books. But now I need it.

I begin to read and flip through the book.

Emma's pov

We all watch my sister walk out of the bridal shop and walk down the sidewalk through the window.

What happened?

I know she lied because I've used the whole 'I'm just overwhelmed' thing as an excuse before. I usually used it when I was reminded of my past, but what could have set her off?

Suddenly a particularly disturbing idea comes to my mind.

Scars.

She was staring in a daze at the dresses. Between that and her flinching at my nickname for her, that has to be the answer.

I gaze to the rest of the group and my eyes fall on Agent Jarreau, Agent Prentiss, and Regina. They look at me with the same shock and worry as I have. We look to be the only ones who have figured it out.

"I'm going to make sure she's okay," I say as I turn to the door.

"I'll go with you," JJ says, following me to the door, "Ross, you stay with Aunt Penny, mommy will be right back."

Snow's pov

I watch Emma and JJ follow Scara out the door. Almost as soon as the door shuts behind them, I wake up from my daze and go to follow them. Before I can even take a step, I feel a hand on my shoulder.

I turn my head toward the person to see it's Regina.

"She's okay," she reassures me, "they're just going to bring her back."

"She's upset," I remind her, "I need to help her."

"I'm not sure you can," Prentiss adds, with a slightly downcast look.

"What do you mean?"

"Rose is a secretive person. For all we know she could be telling the truth or it can be something deeper than that."

I reluctantly nod. They're probably right; I could just make it worse by going with them. But that doesn't mean I'm not curious.