Chapter 71

JJ's pov

Emma and I leave the bridal shop and walk down Main Street in the direction that Rose went.

"My guess is she went to the docks," I state, as we walk side by side.

Emma nods slowly. I can see that she is caught up in her own thoughts. Judging by the way she's staring at the ground in front of her, they aren't particularly pleasant ones.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's got you down?"

Emma snaps her head up to look at me. Like Scara, I can see that Emma isn't used to sharing her past. She sighs as she takes a deep breath.

"I'm worried about Scara. When we first found out that she even existed, Rumple told us something that I've been worried about since then. He told us that she has one of the 'darkest pasts of all', and he said that it wasn't just evil but also pain. I mean, I thought my past was bad, but Scara's prophesized to have been through a lot worse."

I nod my head in understanding. I do my best to hide my shock. I don't know all about Scara, but I do know a few bits and pieces about her past.

We had a case some time ago, that was particularly emotional for me because it involved teenage kids committing suicide, or at least it seemed that way. Turns out, they were all just playing some stupid game/competition gone horribly wrong.

Scara noticed I was on edge and confronted me. I told her about my sister and she told me of her best friend when she was young who was like a sister to her. Rosaline and Camilla both committed suicide when we were young.

That was the moment when we really started to grow close. We bonded over our shared pain.

"I'm in the same position as you. Scara's just not very open about her past. I only know of one part of her life, and they only reason she told me was because I told her of a similar incident that happened with me."

I see Emma gaze toward me with curiosity, but she quickly shakes that look off her face.

"I'm tempted to ask you, but I need to hear it from my sister. If she wants to tell me, she will."

I nod my head again as we reach the docks. On a nearby bench is Scara who has her nose in an antique looking book.

Emma and I walk over and plop ourselves down on either side of her. She doesn't even look up.

"I should have known you two would follow me."

We both smile at that and I glance at her book. Like most older books that Scara read's, they're in some foreign language that not even Reid can decipher.

"What happened back there?" I ask carefully.

She doesn't answer back.

"Whatever it is, I can guarantee you that the answer isn't in any spell book," Emma adds lightly.

"It was worth a try," Rose answers in a small voice, as she closes the book and looks up at us both.

I give her a pointed look, and she sighs.

"I trust you both enough to tell you, but this stays here okay."

"Of course," Emma says quickly and I nod in agreement.

Scara closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She then stands up and puts the book down in her place. She paces in front of us as she speaks.

"I've already told you that I sailed under Captain Jack Sparrow. Well, the Black Pearl wasn't the only ship I was on."

I see a few tears come to her eyes as she focuses on the ground. For her to want to cry this easily, the story must be very dark.

It takes a hell of a lot to make Scara Rose cry.

"When I was a pirate, I sailed with Jack Sparrow for many years, five to be exact. Everything was perfect, or at least it seemed that way. Then one day the Flying Dutchman came."

Emma and I quickly glance at each other with wide eyes.

I've only seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies a few times, but I know exactly who the captain of that ghost ship is.

Davy Jones.

"Do you know the story of Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones?" Scara asks us.

"Only the Disney version," Emma answers, "Jack Sparrow owed Davy Jones his soul, but he traded Will Turner's and the promise of others in exchange."

"Most of that is true except for one little thing."

Scara stops pacing and turns to face us both.

"He wanted two souls as down payment. Before Jack volunteered Will, he threw me forward."

Emma and I widen our eyes at her. I don't remember much about the movie but I remember having to fast forward through the part of Will Turner on the Dutchman for my children's sake. He was beaten and tossed around.

"For me, it was a big eye opener. Up until then, I looked up to Jack Sparrow and almost called him 'dad' once. But he didn't care about me, and proved it when he practically gave me a death sentence."

I see unshed tears come to Emma's eyes. I know even little about Emma's past than I do about Scara's. The one thing I do know is that neither one of them grew up with their parents.

This is no doubt hitting a few old wounds for Emma.

"Davy Jones took both of us. Bootstrap helped Will escape after two days, but I wasn't as lucky. I was on the ship for 11 months exactly, before I snuck out and stole a long boat."

Scara looks at us both and I see the unshed tears still fill her eyes.

"I was only 10 at the time, so I couldn't quite do as much as the rest of the crew. Jones threw us both into the work and expected a lot. It was way too much for a 10 year old girl to handle, and he would punish those who failed.

It honestly wasn't that bad at first, but when Will escaped, the punishments got a whole lot worse. Instead of just denying a meal a two, he started to give out beatings. He would get so mad; he would make adjustments or create brand new weapons to use. He got pretty damn creative too."

Emma leans forward to take one of Scara's hands and I take the other.

"How bad?" Emma asks cautiously.

"He started by just giving me a few lashes, but I got used to them after a while. So he would attach things to the whip to cause more pain. I remember he had one made of stingray barbs and another one with small thorns in them."

A few tears slip down Scara's cheeks. Emma lightly squeezes her sister's hand.

"It's okay," Emma says.

Scara nods, wipes away her tears, and gives us a small smile.

"I know. When I saw the dresses at the shop, I was just nervous that...certain things would show."

Scara looks around us quickly to make sure no one else is watching. Then she slowly slips off her leather jacket and long sleeve shirt and drops them on the bench. When she done, she's only in jeans and a white spaghetti strap tank top.

The bullet scar from her death is showing from the top of her tank. I know Emma notices it because I can see it in her eyes.

It still pains all of us to think about what she went through years ago. It's turned into a dull pain over time, but it's still there and it hurts.

Scara gives us a small sad grin and a single tear rolls down her face. I prepare myself for the worst as Scara slowly turns around.

As soon as Emma and I catch sight of her back, tears free flow from our eyes. The top half of her back is shown and from what we can see, it's horrible. I have only seen marks like this in the conference room when we're being briefed on cases.

This time, though, it isn't just a picture.