Chapter 45

Scara's pov

We crawl into the backseat of the second SUV next to JJ. Up front, Morgan is driving and Reid is in the passenger seat.

"Hey guys," Morgan says.

"Hey," we chime, as Morgan pulls out.

-Two and a half hour time lapse-

I pull out my iPad and begin to go over the case file again. We should be going over victimology any moment now.

"Ok everyone, let's get started," Hotch says on speaker phone.

"So local authorities just determined that Jacob Cobbs was returning home from a late night at work." Hotch says for us all to hear.

"What road did he take?" Morgan asks.

"Route 6."

We all share a knowing look.

"That's the same route that the other victim took to get home," JJ points out.

"So he abducts a man from Route 6, takes them to another location, does who know what for two days, goes all choppy-choppy, then drives back to the highway to dispose of the body?" Prentiss clarifies.

"This looks to be staged," Hotch says, "Garcia, look into any police reports or incident files that involve Route 6."

"Ok, be more specific," Garcia says.

"Start off with accidents involving men in their late 20s early 30s in the last 6 months."

We hear the fast tapping of a keyboard followed by a sigh from Garcia.

"Nada."

"Ok, what about any incidences that involve someone being beheaded along Route 6?" I ask.

We hear more tapping.

"Zilch."

"Alright thanks, Garcia," I say.

"Not a problem, my fine furry friends, I will continue searching."

"Both victims were physically fit men that were low risk in a high risk environment," Reid states, "even though Route 6 is a road with no detours, it is hardly ever traveled, with approximately 1 car per every hour, and it's also almost entirely surrounded by woods."

"Explains why there are no witnesses," I say, "and how he abducts them so easily."

"We will work more with authorities when we get there. I want everyone resting for the rest of the way," Hotch says.

He should know by now that he would have better luck getting a hyper puppy to stay still then get us to rest, especially during a case.

I'm about to continue looking into the case when from the corner of my eye, I see JJ and Reid share a quick glance through the mirror.

"It wasn't y'all's fault," I say, not even looking up.

Reid nervously begins examining the file like he never heard me and JJ just looks at me shocked.

"What?" JJ asks innocently.

For being the best analyzers of human behavior, they're terrible at lying.

"You are still blaming yourselves," I say, glancing to see them both are hanging their heads, "for what happened."

JJ is about to say something, but I cut her off.

"I'm going to tell both of you, what I told Chris. No part of it was your fault. It was completely my choice to take the hit. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything less. Not only would I not live with myself, you would all do the same in a heartbeat."

All three of them are looking at me with sad expressions. I take a deep breath to keep my tears and emotions in, and then I continue.

"I'm the only one to blame. I was a pirate who did, unspeakable things, and my past caught up to me. You all just got caught in the crossfire."

Chris' pov

I instantly take my beautiful girlfriend into my arms to calm her. As soon as her head hits my chest, she visibly relaxes. I look up to the three other profilers in the SUV. They all have unshed tears boiling up in their eyes.

Scara tenses up as she rubs her chest again. She's having another phantom pain.

Without another thought, I gently rub her back soothingly.

After a little while I can see my flower relax. She picks her head up and gazes up at me. She has a few tears behind her eyes, but I can read her mind.

She's happy that she has someone to hold her like this now. Before all this happened, there were days that me holding her in my arms was the only thing that calmed her. I can't imagine the pain she felt, just from being alone.

She looks at me with all the love in the world, and I return it. Out of the corner of my eye I can see JJ smile and gaze to Reid, who is also grinning.

We arrive into the small town and head to the police station. The town is only a little bigger compared to Storybrooke. When both SUVs arrive, we all step out into the station.

A large man walks out of the building and up to us.

"The BAU, I presume?" he asks.

"Yes," Hotch says, "I'm agent Hotchner. These are SSA's Morgan, Dr. Reid, Jarreau, Rose, Prentiss, and Rossi."

"Nice to meet you all, I'm Officer Adams." He introduces with a wave leading us inside, "I have two quick questions.

He gestures to me and Rose.

"One, aren't you a little young to be working for the FBI, and who is he?"