Cliff's Closet (Movie Night / Part 2)

Despite the different title, this is the second part to 'Movie Night'.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the first part and especially for the costume suggestions! Let's see if you'll recognise all the movie references and quotes.

-----

Cliff's Closet (Movie Night / Part 2)

Jay took Nya's hand and led her up the up the stairs to the first floor. While the living room displayed Cliff Gordon's professional awards and achievements, the walls of the main hall and staircase were covered with an impressive collection of pieces of modern art. It was obvious that both areas aimed to impress any visitor entering the building.

But when the couple reached to upper level and turned around the corner towards Cliff Gordon's private wing, they noticed that the style of wall decorations abruptly changed. The plain white walls were randomly hung with a huge number of photos in simple (and non-matching) frames. All of them showed Cliff Gordon celebrating with other celebrities, on most of them they were dressed in costumes.

"He must have been a very popular party guest." Nya remarked.

"Yes, but have you noticed that all these pictures were taken at parties?" Jay replied. "And he is never shown on his own but always the centre of attention. I think Cliff Gordon secretly may have been a very lonely person, so he surrounded himself with these images of him and his 'friends'."

Nya gave his hand a comforting squeeze. "Don't blame yourself for that. You didn't know about him until... you know... it was too late."

"I know." Jay sighed. "It's just that... all my life, I've kind of idolised this man. It's hard to find out that he's made his share of mistakes. And that, despite all his fame and fortune, he probably still hasn't led the perfect life."

"Yes, but never think that you were one of his mistakes. And you are not like him, either." Nya could tell that Jay was worried that he would end up on his own like his birth father. "I promise."

Jay nodded. "Thanks." He said with a weak smile.

"You're welcome." Nya gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Listen, if it upsets you, we really don't have to do this now, I-I don't want to push you into something you don't want to do. We can just go back downstairs."

"No, no, I'm fine." Jay replied. "If I must face the truth about myself, I-I'll rather do this with you than on my own. Also, there is something I really would like to show you. And, unlike Cliff, I will be putting on the costume for a person I truly care about."

"And who cares a lot about you too." Nya reassured him, as they walked along the hallway.

"These are guest rooms." Jay explained, pointing at the closed doors to their left and right. "I don't think they've been used in a while, but all appear to be in pretty good condition, and they are en-suite. I wish we had that on the Bounty as well..."

"I am so glad I have my own bathroom." Nya agreed.

They finally came to stop at the end of the corridor, in front of a slightly ajar dark blue door. The frame was of the same colour, with white lightning patterns running from top to bottom on either side of the door. Nya noticed that the paint on the door and frame was chipped in a few places and had started to peel off. All in all, it looked very old, and it definitely presented a huge contrast to the rest of the house, which was painted in immaculate white with modern walnut wooden doors.

"This..." Jay pushed the door further open. "... is-was Cliff Gordon's Master Bedroom."

Nya followed her boyfriend inside the room and looked around. Two open doors on the left and right walls led to a spacious bathroom and walk-in closet, respectively. The super king-sized bed in the centre of the room was still perfectly made, just as if the actor was still alive and to soon return home again. The girl shivered. She almost felt like she was invading the deceased man's privacy.