Cupid's Helpers (Part 4)

Only about two weeks late 😂, here's the final part to my 2018 Valentine's story. (Btw, should I make another part to 'Sick Day'?)

Please keep in mind that in this setting, only the Green Ninja's identity has been revealed, so Skylor doesn't know about Kai being a member of the Secret Ninja Force!

——-

Cupid's Helpers (Part 4)

Skylor smiled as she watched the cute new couple leave the restaurant hand in hand.

She had felt really sad having to ask them for their table back earlier, so hearing Nya and Jay discuss plans to also spend the rest of the evening together made her feel a lot better about it now.

Checking her list with the bookings, the red haired girl gave out a sigh. It looked as if everyone had a date tonight...

Well, not everyone, she suddenly remembered.

Skylor decided to check on her newest employee. And now she could relief him of his current duty of washing the dishes.

Around the sink, Kai had caused a minor flooding, but the plates were sparkling clean as Skylor's trained eye observed.

"Looks like you're in your element." She giggled.

"No, that's my sister's." Kai said absentmindedly, fully focused on his dirty task.

"Huh?" Skylor wondered loudly and the spiky-haired boy looked up at her.

"Sorry, just a stupid inside joke." He blushed in embarrassment. "I actually don't like water that much." Kai admitted. "It's a bit too... wet for my liking."

"Yeah, dry water could sometimes be quite handy." Skylor remarked, trying not to step into the puddle. "Anyway, I wanted to let you know that your sister and your friend have just left. If you want to swap jobs, it should be safe for you to work in the main restaurant now."

"Oh, definitely." Kai exclaimed, excitedly taking off the rubber apron and tossing it over a stool. "Did they have a good time?" He asked, as they left the kitchen.

"I had the impression that they did." Skylor replied. "They wanted to go play some video games at the Arcade now. Together."

"Ah, that's great." A bright smile appeared on the other's attractive face. "I can't believe I am actually happy that my little sister had a successful date..." He added.

"She didn't look that little to me." Skylor said. "By the way, you were right."

"Of course, I was." Kai smirked. "What about?"

"About Nya asking for the bill and Jay almost fainting of embarrassment when she did." She explained. "Which means I had to follow your Plan B and take the amount from your paycheque. That was a really nice surprise for them. And as you are working here tonight, I have given you a staff discount."

"Thanks Skylor." Kai flashed her a grateful smile.

"Oh, don't thank me. You must be very close with your friends to do all this for them." Skylor said with a hint of jealousy in her voice. "It must be nice to have good friends like this."

"I trust them with my life." Kai stated firmly. "Nya, Jay, Cole, Zane, and especially Lloyd."

Ah, yes. Lloyd Garmadon. The heroic Green Ninja, the son of Lord Garmadon, and until recently the most hated teenager and second most hated person (after his father) in Ninjago was Kai's best friend.

Skylor herself had never participated in any of those anti-Lloyd rallies at their High School. The crazy noodle man's daughter knew all too well how hard it was to be judged based on where you come from rather than on the person whi you really are.

But during the short time she had gotten to interact with Nya, Jay, and especially Kai, she had learned that the young Garmadon had been incredible lucky to find these friends. And she would love to get to know all of them - again, especially the spiky haired brunette - better.

And working alongside each other in the restaurant was a pretty good start.

As she had thought, Kai did an amazing job waiting the tables. And despite being the new guy, he made a little fortune in tips, more than some of the more experienced staff.

"Great job." Skylor complimented him as she handed him his paycheque at the end of the evening. "You don't happen to be looking for a permanent part-time job, do you?"

"Sorry, Sky." Kai shook his head. "I already have one."

"Okay, no problem." She tried to sound not too disappointed. It was worth a try. "Well, if you ever feel like washing some dishes, waiting tables, or maybe just having some noodles and a chat, you'll know where to find all that..."

"And if you ever feel like having lunch at school with some new friends, you'll know where to find me - I mean us."

"I didn't know your little club was accepting new members." She retorted.

"We've never excluded anyone." Kai said firmly. "Only when it was suddenly cool to hang out with the Green Ninja, we had to make it by invitation only."

His amber eyes locked with hers. "But we would definitely have a space for someone like you."

"Someone like me?" Skylor raised an eyebrow. "I am not sure whether I should take this as a compliment or not."

"It definitely is." Kai said hastily. "What I meant was someone who is as kind and beautiful - uhm, I wanted to say helpful! - as you."

Skylor thought that the light blush that had appeared on his tanned cheeks made him look even more handsome. And she could feel her own face heat up as well. He thinks that I am beautiful?

She smiled. "I'll think about it." She said - although she really wouldn't have to think about it at all.

"That's great." Kai smiled at her. "By the way, do you by any chance know any kind of martial arts?"

Skylor gave him a confused look, where did this question suddenly come from? But if he wanted to know more about her, she was more than happy to tell him.

"I do." She confirmed. "And I know how to shoot a crossbow."

"I'll better make sure never to get on your bad side then." Kai joked.

"What about you?" Skylor enquired.

"Me and my friends, we've had a little bit of training as well. I kinda like close combat, double katanas are my weapon of choice."

That sounded like more than just 'a little' bit of training to Skylor, he was obviously keeping some kind of secret from her. But this mystery made the boy opposite her even more interesting.

"Well, I'd better go now." Kai finally and rather reluctantly said. "We both have school tomorrow."

"Yes, we do..." Skylor nodded, her heart pounding in her chest. "I'll see you then?"

"I'd like that." Kai smiled, slowly leaning towards her.

"Me too." She agreed, closing her eyes as she tilted her head forward.

And as their lips met, both Kai and Skylor were happy that they had agreed to help their - old respectively new - friends on this Valentine's Day.