My Phoenix // Jay x Nya (TNG)

I know, I know. I have a lot of open storylines that I should probably finish before even thinking about starting new ones, but this is just a little one shot, set in my Next Gen storyline.

It is for bear2710 because she hasn't been too well ☹️ and we all know that Jaya fluff is good medicine. Also, I got the idea from one of her stories 😉.

———

My Phoenix

"You absolutely sure about this?" Kai asked his brother-in-law – again.. "I don't want you to pass out and then I'll have to explain to my sis what has happened..."

"I am sure, Kai." Jay insisted, despite not being too fond of needles, as his teammates knew all too well. It was always a huge challenge to get the Blue Ninja to take his annual flu shots, so this idea now had come as quite a surprise for his close friend. "I'm a Ninja, I can very well deal with a little bit of pain."

Which was not exactly how Kai remembered Jay's reaction to his latest injection. But then, this was something for Nya, and things would often go a lot differently whenever Kai's sister and Jay's wife was involved.

"And the result will be worth the pain." Kai stated. He had to admit this was a cute idea, and Nya was going to love it.

"That's exactly what Nya has said about giving birth." The Lightning Master smiled fondly, thinking of their three-week old daughter who was safely at their home with her mother. "And she has made it through hours of labour pain, so this is the least I can do for her now." He sheepishly rubbed his neck. "And your job is to make sure I won't change my mind halfway through this."

"It will be my pleasure." Kai smirked.

— — —

Nya was getting worried.

Jay had left the house quite a while ago, to 'get some stuff done in town' - this was all he had said, which was already unusual enough for her talkative husband who normally wouldn't (and simply couldn't) keep anything from her.

And this was actually the first time that he had voluntarily left the Walkers family home since the birth of their baby girl three weeks ago. He would usually try to spend as much time at home with his wife and daughter as he could and had even suggested they could do their grocery shopping online.

But now he had been gone for over three hours, and he was not answering her calls, so something was possibly wrong.

The Water Ninja couldn't reach Kai on his mobile either, maybe the guys had just been called on a mission. It did happen more often than none, she'd better check the news once Abby would finally be asleep.

Most of the time, the blue-eyed girl was a very uncomplicated baby, but she had been rather fussy and unsettled all morning. Maybe she was noticing her father's absence – or her mother being anxious about it.

Nya was walking up and down the living room, humming to the tired baby in her arms, when she heard a vehicle coming up the driveway to their mansion. To her huge relief, it was indeed their blue family car, however, it was not her husband who was driving it but her brother.

"Daddy's home, sweetie." Nya whispered to the sleepy little girl who wasn't too impressed by the news. But her big blue eyes immediately shot open upon when she heard her father's voice.

"I'm back, love." Jay called, bursting through the front door, Kai following suit. "I am sorry it took longer than expected, sweetheart, but I've got an amazing surprise for you."

"Since when is my brother an amazing surprise?" Nya smirked, greeting her husband with a kiss. "Nope." She shook her head when he then tried to take their daughter from her. "You know the rule, wash your hands first."

"Yes, ma'm." He saluted and disappeared into the kitchen, again followed by his brother-in-law.

"Now, where's my little girl?" Jay asked when they returned to the hall.

"Here she is." Nya carefully handed him the small girl who broke into a toothless smile. "I think she's missed you."

"Aww, I've missed you too." Jay cooed, placing a gentle kiss on the brown fluff on the baby's head that was now resting on his shoulder.

"And what about me?" Nya placed her hands on her hips, feigning disappointment.

"You know I've missed you too, my love." Jay replied with a smile. "Which is why I'm gonna take a piece of you with me all the time from now."

"What's that supposed to mean?" The Master of Water questioned.

"Kai, can you please hold Abby for a minute?" The child was obviously not pleased to be handed around and started crying softly.

"Ssh, don't cry, sweetie." Kai tried to comfort the upset baby. "You can go back to your daddy soon."

"That's what I've been dealing with all morning..." Nya sighed. "What was so important that you left us al-..."

Her jaw dropped when Jay took off his jacket, revealing a new tattoo on his left shoulder.

"Wow." She gasped. "Y-you've got a tattoo of my elemental symbol..."

"My phoenix." He wrapped his arms around his wife, pulling her into a hug. "I love you so much, I never want to be separated from you."

"Awww." Nya felt her eyes welling with tears. Stupid hormones. She cursed mentally.

"And you've bravely endured all this pain giving birth to our little princess, so I've decided to face my own fear of needles for you."

"Not as bravely, if I may say so." Kai added. "That's why I was there. And to drive him home, because the arm is a bit sore."

"You're amazing." Nya put her arms around her husband's neck.

"No, you are." Jay replied, connecting their lips in a deep kiss.

"Uhm, would anyone notice if I just left with Abby now?" Kai once again interrupted the couple's display of affection.

"Way to ruin the mood, Kai." Jay complained as they broke apart.

"I have to keep up my reputation." Kai smirked. "But I actually really have to go now, I'm meeting Sky for lunch."

"Thanks again for your help, Kai." Jay took his daughter back into his arms. "And I'm gonna pay for your taxi back into town, our neighbours don't like us using our dragons."

"Ah, don't worry about that." Kai said. "I got to see my sister's face when you showed her, that's worth a lot more."

"Bye sis." He then hugged his sister. "Love ya. Take good care of my little niece."

"Will do." Nya replied. "And you take good care of your expecting wife. Please say hi to her for me."

Nya closed the door behind her brother and turned back to her husband.

"I still can't believe you've done this for me." She smiled, carefully running her finger over the phoenix symbol on his arm. "It's beautiful."

"I'd do anything for you, Nya." He returned the smile. "And I'm really glad you like it. But have another look, because it is not just for you."

"There's a little Lightning Bolt underneath it." She noticed.

"That's for Abby." Jay explained. They already knew that their firstborn child had inherited her father's element.

Nya grinned. "That means you'll go back there to add another symbol, should we have more kids..."

Jay paled, remembering the needles. "I'd say we're in no rush for that." He said.