Together Again (Part 3)

Thanks for all the comments on the previous 'chapter' (now deleted), the poll is now closed. I honestly wasn't expecting the results to be this clear - the Jaya lemon got pretty much as many votes as all the other options together... it should be done in a couple of days and will be posted separately because of the mature rating (the title will be 'Reunion').

This part here continues the 'real' previous chapter. Two headcanons about Ray and Maya that I use in my stories: 1) Maya was good friends with Jay's birth mother (and she is very supportive of him and Nya) while Ray and her didn't get on too well (and he isn't too happy about his baby girl dating Jay - or anyone).
2) They are very affectionate with each other, a little bit on the naughty side 😂.

Together Again (Part 3)

Maya turned her head to smile at her husband. "Good morning, my darling." She greeted him softly. "Did you sleep well?"

He stepped inside the kitchen and walked over to his wife who was working at the stove, wrapping his arms around her slim waist from behind and kissing her neck.

"Very well." He mumbled against her skin. "It's been so long that we've slept in such a comfortable bed. The only reason I got up was that I missed you in it. Shame we were so tired after yesterday that I could neither appreciate the accommodation nor your company."

Blushing deeply, Jay turned all his attention to the pancake batter as he tried not to listen to their conversation. The blue Ninja wanted not more to know what his girlfriend's parents were doing with each other than he wanted them to know what he was doing with their 'little girl' (as Ray still called her).

"Well, good thing we are staying a few more days." Maya turned in his embrace to kiss him on the lips. "I wasn't expecting you to wake up anytime soon, so I got up to help Jay making breakfast."

Only then did the former Master of Fire notice the current blue Ninja, flashing him an apologetic smile. "Oh, good morning, Jay. Sorry, I didn't see you, I was a bit... distracted."

"Good morning, Sir." The Master of Lightning smiled back, finally relaxed enough to take his place at the stove next to the couple. "Glad to hear you... uhm... slept well." He said, placing the skillet for the pancakes on one of the free burners.

"I did, thank you. Everyone else is still asleep?" Ray enquired.

"Yes." Jay nodded. "Yesterday was a long and very eventful day." He added. In both good and bad ways...

"And from what I have heard, neither Kai nor Nya are morning persons." Maya giggled. "I am wondering where the children could have got that from..."

"They should all be up fairly soon, the smell of breakfast usually helps." Jay remarked, as he switched on the burner.

"It already smells delicious." Ray remarked. "Do you need any help? Like with tasting something?"

"No stealing the bacon." Maya playfully slapped his hand. "Maybe you could set the table?" She suggested.

"That would be great." Jay said. "Plates are in the cupboard over there, and the cutlery is in the drawer." He explained, pouring in the (very well mixed) batter for the first pancake.

"So, what are the plans for today?" Ray asked as he took the plates from the indicated cupboard and placed them on a tray. "We have no sunrise exercise, no small kids who want to be entertained, and no Vermilion armours to forge. I can't even remember the last time that we've had absolutely nothing to do..."

"I really just want to spend time with our children." Maya smiled. "And to get to know their friends." She grinned at Jay.

"That sounds wonderful." Ray agreed. "Although we're staying here for the time being, I would maybe like to pay a visit home soon, just to see if everything is in order there."

"Good idea, honey." Maya agreed.

"Uhm, when I went there to get your things last night, I noticed that some of the lights in the house weren't working, and it was not the bulbs." Jay remembered. "I-I just didn't want to say it to you then because you were busy talking to Kai and Nya..."

"Oh, that's good to know." Ray replied. "Even as the former Masters of Fire and Water, we don't want out home to go up in flames due to a faulty electrical wire..."

He suspiciously eyed the auburn haired boy. "So, that's the bad news you two were talking about when I came in?" He assumed.

Jay hesitated as he glanced at Maya who gave him a little nod.

"Oh, yeah, that's totally what it was." He claimed, feeling equally relieved that he wouldn't have to face his girlfriend's father on his own and guilty for lying to him. "B-but I can help you check the connections if you want. I mean it's kinda my element." The Master of Lightning offered.

"That would be great." Maya beamed at him. "Oh, you're such a great boy! Isn't he?" She turned to her husband.

"Yeah, that's very nice of you indeed." Ray gave him a friendly smile. "Thanks for the offer.

"Kai and Nya are so lucky to have such wonderful friends, right?" Their mother continued. "Just like us back then."

"I hope you're talking about the team and not us..." Her husband muttered.

Just at that moment, Nya came walking down the stairs. Although 'stumbling' would be the better term - she was still in her pyjamas and appeared to be half asleep (and she probably was), her short and usually straight black hair rather messy.

Jay smiled as he watched her enter the kitchen and, ignoring her boyfriend's and her parents' presence, slowly and clumsily made her way over to the coffee machine. No, the Water Ninja did not function in the morning before having her dose of caffeine. And he thought it was just too cute how imperfect she was like this.

But by the time Nya had finally reached her destination, Jay had already taken a mug from the cupboard and poured her a coffee.

"Good morning, Nya." He handed her the steaming mug, just as a good teammate would, making sure their hands didn't touch in front of her father.

As he went back to making his pancakes, Nya took a couple of sips from her hot drink, still not noticing Ray and Maya who were watching their daughter with both curiosity and confusion.

She eventually placed her empty mug on the counter and approached her boyfriend. "Thank you, you're the best, babe." She smiled as she wrapped her arms around his waist from behind and pecking his burning cheek. "When did you get up, you sneaky Ninja? I didn't even hear you leave."

"About half an hour ago, it's my turn to make breakfast today." He explained, sliding the finished pancake onto a plate.

"Why didn't you wake me, I could have helped you?"

As always, Nya's presence and her inciting scent of coconut clouded Jay's mind, making forget almost everything - and everyone - else around him. As he felt it would be safer to take a little break before starting to make the next pancake anyway, he turned around to smile at her. "Because I've learned that waking you up on your day off can be a dangerous thing to do." He gently brushed her tousled hair with his fingers. "And you must be exhausted after yesterday."

"I am." She nodded. "But I am also very excited to spend more time with my parents today."

Jay's eyes widened as her words snapped him out of his trance. Nya's parents... oh, crap.

"So are we, sweetheart." He heard Maya softly say from behind them.

And Ray (in a not-so-soft voice) added: "And I think you two have something to tell us."