Run (Nya x Jay)

This is my entry to Dissmisery and I's writing challenge.
The task was (and still is if you want to join in) to rewatch some of your Ninjago moments on Netflix/YouTube/Prime/etc and write a one shot for a scene (details are in the challenge book on the Jaya Clan account  JayaTeamUltra).

Over all my books I have already covered so many of my favourite scenes that I was actually struggling to pick a 'new' one for this challenge, but then - thanks to Jeleego and The_lightning_ninja ! - I remembered a fairly old idea story idea of mine...

Pretty sure you'll recognise the scene 😉. Most of the dialogue is taken from the actual episode, but I've changed/added a few details. And the blocks in Italics are lyrics from one of my favourite songs - Run by Snow Patrol - which is my ultimate Jaya song because, in my opinion, fits this scene perfectly 😊.

Run (Nya x Jay)

Nya's POV

"Hold on."

It's strange how two short words – not more than two syllables even – can mean so much.

The day when I first said them to him, on that rollercoaster about four years ago, marked the beginning of our relationship. And this here today... it almost feels like the end of just about everything.

I'm dangling off the edge of the staircase; Jay is not only holding me with his left hand but also using his other to fight off a group of pirates, while on the floor below us Nadakhan is standing – well, leviating – wearing the typical smug grin on his face and with his four arms wide open ready to catch me.

And honestly, I'm ready to be caught.

In fact, I've just asked – begged – Jay to use the dart, but he's simply refused.

Unlike me, the blue Ninja has never been one to give up easily. So instead of letting go, he's tightened his grip on my hand and told me to 'hold on'.

And we'll run for our lives
I can hardly speak I understand
Why you can't raise your voice to say

"Hold on?" I echo his words. Hold on to what? What is his plan? Because I don't think either of us is physically able to hold on for much longer...

Searching for an answer in his face, our eyes lock for a brief moment.

I've always loved Jay's sapphire orbs, and I've always loved looking at them. Not only because of their beautiful deep blue colour – just like watching the sky on a clear evening – but also because of the pure joy and bright optimism, as well as his deep affection for me (he's recently been trying, not very successfully, to hide this though) they've always reflected. And of course the other thing that I've been struggling more and more not to think about...

But as I look at Jay now, really look at him for the first time in ages, I can also find a completely new level of determination in him. Ironic, really, how everything that he's been through - which was actually meant to break him - has made him so much stronger.

And I can barely look at you
But every single time I do
I know we'll make it anywhere
Away from here

And at this very moment, he's gathering all that strength he has, to pull me back up to him and to hurl the both of us through a hole in the roof and into the ocean surrounding the lighthouse.