The Blue Suitcase // Jay x Nya

I should probably be working on my stories in progress instead of starting new ones...

Just had the idea for this little one-shot when flying back from Germany last night 🙂. Another 'Ninja are not Ninja but normal people ' AU. Might do a second part (but not more than that) if people are interested.

——-

The Blue Suitcase

The ringing of her phone woke up Nya way too early on this Sunday morning.

She had returned home the previous evening after a weeklong business trip. Her flight had been delayed by almost three hours, so she had arrived at Ninjago City Airport only very late last night.
Luckily, her blue suitcase was the first item delivered at the baggage claim. Ignoring the jealous looks shel received from her fellow passengers, she grabbed her piece of luggage and headed straight to the taxi stand. When she arrived at her little apartment, she immediately fell into her bed, not even bothering to unpack.

Nya's close friends and family - in fact everyone who had her private mobile number - knew not to disturb her this morning (or any morning she was off work), unless in a case of emergency. And the consistent ringing of her phone suggested that this might be a matter of urgency.

With half-opened lids, the raven-haired young woman finally found her phone on her chaotic bedside table. It was an unknown number, so she almost decided to block it and go back to sleep, but now she was awake (more or less) anyway. And she was kinda interested where the caller had gotten her number from.

"Hello?" She asked, trying to sound half asleep and half annoyed.

"Uhm, g-good morning. I-I would like to talk to N-Nya Smith, please." A rather nervous male voice replied.

"Speaking." This time it was definitely more annoyed than asleep.

"I-I am sorry to disturb you, Ms Smith. I hope I didn't wake you up."

"You did, so I hope you had an important reason for that."

"Uhm..." Nya swore she could hear the other person blush. "I think it's important." He explained. "You see, we were on the same flight last night, and I was so tired, I must have accidentally taken your suitcase from the baggage claim instead of mine. I am really sorry about that."

Nya was just going to break out in an angry rant about what a stupid and inconsiderate idiot he was, when she remembered that she was the one who had taken the first suitcase without checking the name tag. Now it was her turn to blush.

"N-no problem, it was kinda my fault." She said apologetically. "I wasn't expecting anyone else to have the same kind of blue suitcase..."

"Me neither." The other one laughed. "I was so sick of everyone having the same kind of black trolley and I wanted something that would stand out."

"It was the same for me. I chose this one because blue is my favourite colour." Why was she telling this to a stranger?

"Really?" He sounded excited. "So is mine. And there aren't that many suitcases in this colour around."

"No, you are right." Nya agreed. "You are actually the first person I've met who has one, except for myself that is. Which means I probably have your suitcase. Just give me a moment, please."

Nya got up and walked into her kitchen/living room where her - no, not her - suitcase was standing in a corner, unopened.

"What's your name?" She asked, reading the name on the tag.

"It's Jay." Jay told her. "Jay Walker."

"Yup, I took your suitcase." Nya confirmed. "I am really sorry about that, Jay."

"Ah, don't worry about that, Ms Smith. And we were both at fault." Jay sighed in relief. "I am just glad it's there."

"Please, call me Nya." Nya said. "Hearing someone call me Ms Smith just reminds me of work."

"No problem, Nya."

"So, what are we going to do about the suitcases?" The female wondered, walking into her small kitchen.

"I am going to my parents' place for lunch, that's why I've called now." Jay explained. "I could just drop by your place, it's more or less on the way."

Of course, he had her address from the name tag.

Nya checked the clock on the wall. It was quarter past twelve, so this Jay was probably going to meet his parents for lunch fairly soon.
Although technically afternoon already, it still felt like early morning to Nya today. And neither the raven-haired woman nor her apartment were in any state to have a visitor right now. Even if it was just to exchange mixed up suitcases.

"It's not so good at the moment. Would you have time to meet for a coffee this afternoon instead?" She replied, pouring herself a glass of fresh orange juice. Luckily, she had a caring big brother who had stocked up her fridge yesterday. "There's a nice little coffee shop just around the corner from my place? And it would be my treat, of course."

"I am generally free this afternoon, but, uhm, lunch with my parents can take quite a while." Jay told her. "It's not like we would eat that much, but my parents like to talk. A lot."

The cherry doesn't fall far off the blossom. Nya thought, taking a sip from her glass.

"I honestly have no idea at what time I'll be back in the city. What about I call you just before I leave from the junkyard?" Jay suggested. "And either you have time time to meet then, or not."

"That's fine with me. So maybe see you later then." Nya confirmed. She had no plans for today at all, but she was not going to tell that to a stranger.

"Sounds great." The cheerful voice at the other end of the line confirmed. "Bye, Nya."

"Bye, Jay." Nya pressed the red button.

Junkyard? She wondered, finishing her orange juice.

This Jay Walker actually sounded like an interesting person.

And even though this kinda interfered with her usual Sunday routine of 'doing nothing', she was really looking forward to meeting him in person this afternoon.

Maybe mixed up blue suitcases would turn out to be not a bad thing at all.