A New Journey // Jaya (AU)

My laptop is still giving me trouble but I'm just gonna try to edit and upload as much as I can. Please excuse any formatting and/or spelling mistakes!

Anyway, during my holidays I managed to write 8K words, equivalent to four one shot drafts based on AU suggestions from my message board. Most of them will have a somewhat open ending, with the option of making a second part if people are interested. This one is the exception though – because it already is a sequel 😉!

Dissmisery's request was for some 'real life AU Jaya' with Engineer Jay and Marine Biologist Nya, and I happened to have an old one shot (well, two-parter) "The Blue Suitcase" (published in this book ages ago) that matched the request - and that I'd actually wanted to write a sequel for in ages. This story takes place 5 years after the first two parts.

The bit about Jay's hair getting curly from the sea air is based on my own experience during my holidays... and I've included a little quote from the show, let's see who finds it first.

-----

A New Journey

Pulling her little trolley behind her, Nya scanned the crowd waiting outside the arrival gate, looking for the familiar shade of auburn. Yet, despite her being shorter than most other passengers exiting the Security Area of Ninjago City Airport, it was him who spotted her first.

"Nya." Hearing her boyfriend's voice calling for her, Nya broke out in a bright smile. She immediately dropped the trolley handle and sprinted towards him.

"Jay," She cried, as she jumped into his arms and kissed him.

"I've missed you so much," he told her when they finally broke apart.

Nya smiled at him, "Me too," she replied before hastily connecting their lips again.

"Excuse me, Miss," a stern voice eventually interrupted them, "we would kindly ask you to not leave your luggage unattended - or in the way of other passengers." The airport security guard reprimanded her, yet he couldn't hide the little smile at the cute display.

"I am very sorry, Officer," Nya apologised as she accepted the offending object, though unfazed by the critique. "It won't happen again."

"Thank you." The guard winked at them. "Enjoy your stay."

"Liar." Jay whispered into her ear. "How many times has this happened already?"

"Too many." Nya replied truthfully. Luckily, this hadn't yet caused to much damage to their luggage. About two years ago, the couple had invested in a set of new high-quality suitcases, the old ones – the ones that had brought them together – had been retired; neither of them had the heart to throw them away though.

After finishing her PhD in Marine Biology – back her time had been split between attending classes at Ninjago City University and field work at the Marine Research Centre in Stiix – Nya had been offered a full time Position as PostDoc at the Research Institute. So three years ago, she had given up her apartment in the city and moved to Stiix. Jay, on the other hand, was still working in the R&D department at Borg Industries. His focus has slightly shifted though, he was now part of a team that developed new and improving technologies for renewable energy.

Of course, this separation wasn't always easy on their relationship, but when they had started dating five years ago, they had agreed not to get into the way of each other's careers. They would usually see each other every other weekend, alternating between Ninjago City and Stiix, but this time it had been over five weeks, far too long in Nya's opinion.