Something Blue (Part 3) (*)

Okay, this is still not the last chapter of the wedding storyline, but it's getting longer and longer, plus I haven't updated this book in ages, so I thought I might as well post this part. I am working on the final (for real this time!!!) part and hope to have it done before the end of next week, because after that I'm going to be busy with my Christmas book (updates will start on Friday!)...
Btw, thanks to Sunnyninja13  for requesting this update.

-----

Something Blue (Part 3)

Standing behind the table with the wedding cake, Nya took the sharp silver dagger her parents had made for them as wedding present.

"A blacksmiths' daughter and son-in-law won't use an ordinary blunt cake knife to cut their wedding cake." Ray and Maya had told them.

Nya wrapped her right hand around the hilt – shaped like a dragon's head, with a ruby as one eye and a sapphire on the other side – and Jay placed his hand gently over hers.

"I guess I'll let you be on top this time. You'd better make up to it later." Nya whispered before pecking his lips, causing her husband to blush slightly.

"I'd say we can discuss that then." He answered in an equally quiet voice, before they both turned their attention back to the four-tiered chocolate cake in front on them.

Despite having a blue-themed wedding, neither of them liked the overly sweet fondant-covered wedding cakes, so the couple had instead chosen a rich chocolate cake, covered in dark chocolate ganache and beautifully decorated with strawberries and raspberries – and, of course, blueberries.

It was no surprise that Cole had been drooling over it – not literally, luckily – for most of the evening. And now, it was finally time to get a taste of the masterpiece.

Together, the newlyweds cut a generous slice from the bottom tier and placed it on a dessert plate. Jay took a small cake fork to feed a piece to his wife, before she did the same for him.

They then handed the 'tools' over to the hotel staff who would continue to cut and serve the cake to the wedding guests.

"I said you are not getting any cake." Jay was telling the Master of Earth, who was at the very front of the queue.

"And what does your wife say about this?" Cole asked back.

"She says to leave her out of this." Nya replied, more focused on devouring her own piece of cake than on the two quarrelling men. "If you want cake, you'll have to sort it out with Jay."

"And I'd recommend you do sort it out soon before the whole thing is finished; it's delicious." Kai chimed in. "You don't want to miss out on this... mmmh." He teased his cake-loving teammate.

"C'mon, you can't do that to me." Cole pleaded to his best friend. "I've been waiting for this since the two of you got engaged... and it's chocolate!"

"Your husband is playing a dangerous game here, nothing should get between Cole and his cake..." Kai turned to his sister, as the two friends continued to argue. "But I am glad to see that you are able to enjoy your food again."

"Me too. And I was really craving something sweet." Nya plucked a chocolate dipped strawberry from the cake. "So, you weren't joking about the Water Ninja cake toppers being sold out..." She remarked, eyeing the two plastic figurines standing on the top tier.

"Nope." Kai shook his head. "Apparently, our fans went crazy about the Ninja-style bride and groom marzipan figures and we just couldn't get any ourselves. Believe me, we've tried. But we had to go with these Airjitzu action figures of you and Jay instead... at least, we got the good ones that can actually fly." He smiled awkwardly. "Hope you still like it."

Nya smilingly put down her empty plate and embraced her brother. "Thanks, Kai. It's great, I love it."

"Everything for my favourite sister."

"Alright, you win. I agree that you do deserve a reward for your persistence. So here you go. Enjoy!" The siblings heard Jay exclaim. They pulled apart and turned around, just in time to see the Master of Lightning smash a piece of chocolate cake into the black Ninja's face.

"Whoohoo, I've got cake." Cole cheered, not bothered at all about the fact that some of it had gotten onto his brand new black jacket and white shirt. His girlfriend immediately rushed to his aide, offering him some napkins. "I don't need any tissue yet, all I need right now is a spoon and a mirror." Cole insisted. "Not going to let this go to waste. Especially as he probably won't give me any more..."

"You are absolutely right about this." Jay stated, crossing his arms. "But I gave you an extra big slice." He smiled at the other.

"Thanks, man. I appreciate that." Cole replied, grinning widely, before he and Seliel walked back to their table and sat down to enjoy their treat.

——-

After he had finished his 'slice' and cleaned his face and outfit, the black Ninja again asked for everyone's attention.

"Now that we have all had plenty of delicious food and especially cake, we should probably do a bit of exercise." He announced. "I would therefore like to ask the happy couple to open the dance floor. And would you please all join me here to watch them – and to count how many times Jay is going to step on Nya's toes."

"Hey." Jay protested. "I am not that bad."

"I am just kidding." Cole chuckled. "Jay is actually a more than capable dancer. But before we let him and Nya show off their dancing skills, I would like to say a few words about the song they have selected for this occasion. It is an a-cappella song by the Royal Blacksmiths." Cole smiled at Lou, who was among the guests. "And when I told my dad that my teammates and dear friends chose one of his old songs, he was really touched and wanted to prepare a special surprise for them. Unfortunately, the other three Royal Blacksmiths couldn't make it tonight, but they have recorded a new version of 'Only You' for, well, only the two of you. But you don't have to worry, it's still a slow dance."

"That was a very nice wedding gift from your father." Zane remarked, as the two friends watched the bride and groom dance their first dance as a married couple. "And I find it very impressive how his quartet has managed to sing the song in five voices."

"I, uhm, haven't noticed that..." Cole blushed. "I-I guess they are just this good."

"You are probably right." Zane shot him a knowing look. "And you are a great friend."

"Thanks. So are you. Especially when you don't mention this to the others." The Master of Earth smiled at the Nindroid. "But you must please excuse me now, I am going to burn off some calories as well." He added, noticing that Jay and Nya's parents as well as the bride's brother and his girlfriend had already joined the couple on the dance floor for the next song. He took off his jacket and tossed it over the nearest chair, before he turned to the pink-haired woman on his other side. "May I have this dance, Miss?" He asked, offering his arm.

"You may, Mr Brookstone. Let's show them how this is done." Seliel took his arm, and off they went.

-----

'Only You' is a song by The Flying Pickets (at least in its a-cappella version, the original is proper 80's pop...).

I chose this song for Jay and Nya's first dance, because I love a-cappella music and this is one of my favourites (but it is incredibly difficult to stay in then right key!), and I find it very fitting for them. And it is a very popular wedding song (although some people also interpret it as a sad breakup song)! But I just like it.