After The End

I initially wrote this one shot as 'Season 10 Jaya Moment' bonus chapter for my NinjagOTP Challenge (a suggestion from NinjaYoshi8020 , but I couldn't resist adding in some other (mainly platonic) pairings and then went over the word limit, so I'm putting it here instead.

Warning: Spoilers for March of the Oni !

After the End

"Hey."

A soft knock on the open door made Kai detach his gaze from the pale figure on the bed. He turned his head to see his sister standing in the doorway, smiling at him.

"Hey sis." He replied, as he stood up from his chair next to the bed. "Did you talk to mum and dad?"

"I did." Nya confirmed while entering the room. "They're fine. Luckily, the Four Weapons is a bit higher than the rest of Ignacia, so the Darkness didn't reach them. Quite a few people from the village also took shelter with them, but they all were able to return to their homes." She informed him. "They're looking forward to seeing us."

Following a short rest (and a longer celebration) after the battle against the Oni, the Ninja were now going to fly the NGTV News crew back to their TV station before each visiting their respective families. Only Zane and PIXAL had already left for Ninjago City, for the female Samurai was too worried about her father, having seen his frozen body on Lloyd and Garmadon's transmission earlier.

"Have you told them?" Kai enquired, glancing at the half of the Yin Yang amulet that was pinned to Nya's gi.

The Water Ninja blushed. "Not yet." She said. "I'd rather do that in person than over the phone."

"They will be very proud of you, sis." Kai stated. "As am I."

"Thank you." She beamed at him. "I am beyond happy myself. I still need to pinch myself from time to time to make sure this isn't a dream."

She stepped closer to the bed and gently ran her fingers through the Green Ninja's tousled hair. "But how is he doing?" She wanted to know.

"Finally asleep." Kai replied. The red Ninja had offered to keep watch over his honorary baby brother, while Misako and Wu were taking care of their guests. "Got a pretty nasty concussion, he was throwing up earlier and kept mentioning a weird dream, something about him meeting the First Spinjitzu Master..."

"The poor kid has been through a lot lately, some rest will hopefully do him good." Nya remarked. "And don't worry, his mum and uncle will take good care of him while we're away."

"I know." Kai sighed. "It's just that... the last time that his father was... uhm... gone, I promised I would always there for him-"

"-just as you've always been there for me after our parents disappeared." Nya finished for her brother. "You want to stay here with him, don't you?"

"Would that be okay?" Kai asked carefully.

"Of course." The grey Ninja reassured him. "I'm sure mum and dad will understand. We're taking the Bounty, so maybe they would like to come back to the Monastery with us."

"That would be great." Kai agreed. "What?" He asked when he noticed Nya smirking at him.

"I was sorta looking forward to catching up with Skylor during the flight, but I guess I can wait until we're back... just assuming that she might prefer to stay here as well."

"Thanks, sis." Kai blushed. "You're the best."

"So are you." She hugged him. "Take good care of our little brother."