Long Way Down (Part 1) // Jaya (AU)

This is not a new chapter!

This one shot is a Law Firm AU, it was first published about 2 1/2 years ago, under the title 'Elevator Revelations'. It was a request for daniaanlyn (now jaykinnie): 'Trapped in an Elevator'.

I've just renamed and edited it, and moved it to the end of the book (although it won't stay last chapter for long 😉).

-----

Elevator Revelations

Getting out now. Meeting ran over because *someone* just wouldn't find an end and shut up. See you in a bit xx

I press 'send' and throw the phone into my bag before I step into the elevator – and into my well-deserved weekend.

"Wait, please." The doors are just about to close when I hear that familiar annoying voice call out.

I sigh as I hold my hand between the doors to stop them from closing. I really couldn't wait to get away from him but I guess I will have to for 27 more floors before I will finally have two whole days off – and away from Jay Walker.

"Thanks." He flashes me a smile as he comes rushing into the small metal cabin and we are finally on our way down.

I shrug. "No problem." I just hope he won't try to actually talk to me.

I watch from the corner of my eyes as Jay gets a phone out of his pocket, takes a quick look at the screen and puts it away again. "Do you have..." He starts.

"No." I reply. "No reception in here at all."

Seriously? He has worked here for much longer than me – must be almost two years – and only finds that out now?

Jay must have noticed the confused look on my face for he adds: "Never tried to use my phone in here. I only take the lift when I absolutely have to; and that's usually when I go to or come from appointments, so one of the partners will be around. I-I'm not too fond of confined spaces." He admits and, taking a closer look at him, I notice that my colleague looks rather uncomfortable. Aha, so Mr Perfect does have some flaws after all...

I force myself to give him a reassuring smile. "Well, it shouldn't be too long..." I say. "The lift is very fast."

But I must have jinxed it because just at this very moment, the elevator shakes a couple of times before it comes to a complete stop.

But while I just sigh in defeat, Jay lets out a very loud and very shrill yell. "Aaargh." He cries. "The lift is gonna crash. And we're gonna die..." He starts rambling and pacing around the very tiny space, running his hands through his neatly combed auburn hair. "I wanted to get down fast but not that fast..."

Great. Looks like I'm stuck. And with a person who is freaking out about it – and who's probably blaming me for this as well.

"Jay." I firmly grab his arms and force him to stop. "Look at me." I say. "We are not gonna crash. You see, we are not moving at all. The lift is just stuck. It keeps happening all the time..."

He takes a few deep breaths and slowly starts to calm down.

"Thank you." He blushes. "I-I am sorry about that."

"Ah, no need to apologise." I wave it off. "It can be quite scary if you are not used to it. And it's actually nice to see you being... well... not perfect for once." I involuntarily add.