The Blue Suitcase (Part 2)

For bear2710 - get well soon 🤗!!!

The Blue Suitcase (Part 2)

At quarter past four in the afternoon, Nya and the wrong blue suitcase were waiting at the coffee shop. About ten minutes ago, Jay had called to let her know that he was on his way. But he and Nya's luggage hadn't arrived yet.

Nya had chosen a small table by the window. Instead of looking outside though, she was texting with her brother. The raven-haired woman was to visit him and his family for dinner tonight.

"Nya Smith?" Recognising the cheerful voice from their earlier phone conversation, Nya looked up.

A young man about her own age, maybe a year or two older, was standing next to the table. He had short, slightly messy auburn hair and electric blue eyes. Despite a little gap in his right eyebrow [yes, I am keeping the old design!], his face was rather attractive.

"Jay Walker?" She asked back. He nodded and pointed at the chair opposite her. "May I?"

"Sure. How did you recognise me?" She asked.

"Oh, I've simply asked the most beautiful person in the coffee shop." Jay stated matter-of-factly.

"Wh-what?" Nya gasped, blushing

"Just kidding." Jay laughed. "Uhm, I mean, you are very beautiful." He blushed as well. "But I didn't actually recognise you; it was my suitcase that caught my attention in the first place."

"Yes, I should have thought of that." Nya said. "And I see you've brought his friend."

"Yes, let them have a play date." Jay placed Nya's suitcase next to the other one and sat down.

"It's almost like in one of those movies where people bring a single red rose or a certain book for their blind dates to recognise each other. I have never heard of a blue suitcase though." He chatted away.

"Maybe we could sell the idea to the scriptwriters." Nya laughed.

"Yes, we could buy a lot of suitcases for that money." Jay joined in.

"But before we do that, can I get you a coffee - or anything else?" Nya offered. "I mean, you had to drive all the way here, so that's the least I can do for you." From his luggage tag, Nya knew that Jay lived in a different part of the city.

"Ah, no problem." Jay flashed her a smile. "It's on the way home from my parents' place."

"A junkyard, right?" Nya remembered their earlier conversation.

"Uhm, how...?" Jay apparently didn't.

"When we were talking on the phone, you mentioned a junkyard..." Nya explained.

"Ugh, did I?" Jay asked and Nya nodded.

"Must have been still asleep... but yeah, my parents own a junkyard just outside of town." He admitted. "Ed & Edna's Scrap N Junk, it is called. Just if you ever need scrap metal..."

"My parents actually might." Nya replied. "They run a blacksmith shop and are always looking for new material sources."

"Blacksmiths? That sounds pretty interesting." Jay stated.

"It is." Nya confirmed. "My brother is working with them as well. What do you do, by the way?"

"I am an engineer, I work in R&D at Borg Industries." Jay told her. "What about you?"

"I am a scientist at Ninjago University." Nya said. "Marine Biology." She added.

"Marine Biology?" Jay wondered. "In Ninjago City?"

"I know, it doesn't really make much sense." Nya chuckled. "And that's why I have to travel a lot. I was just coming back from a week in Stixx last night, we have a research centre there."

"Ah, okay."

"What about you? What were you doing there?" Nya enquired. "Only if you want to tell me, that is."

"I had to present some of our new technologies to potential investors." He said. "I don't like doing this kind of stuff, I am not very good at speaking in public."

Nya wordlessly raised an eyebrow and Jay threw his hands up in the air. "I know, I know. I do talk a lot. Just not like that." He explained. "Usually, my colleague would do these kind of presentations, he is a lot better at this than me. But he and his wife are expecting their first child and the baby is due in four weeks, so he prefers not to work out of town at the moment. So I kinda volunteered to go instead of Zane. I mean, if it was my family, I'd definitely want to stay at home as well."

"Do you have a family?" It was none of Nya's business, so why did the idea of Jay having a wife and children bother her?

"Oh, no." Jay said. "Not even close. My last girlfriend dumped me because of my irregular working hours."

"Sorry about that." No, she wasn't.

"Nah, it's okay." Jay shrugged. "I don't want to be with anyone who doesn't like me exactly the way I am. And that includes my job, I just couldn't do 9 to 5 in an office..."

"I understand. It's the same for me." Nya told him. "I love doing research, but working out of town for half of the time doesn't make things any easier..."

"But you still seem to have a very busy social life." Jay stated. "After having been away for a week, you didn't have time to meet up this morning."

"Oh, it wasn't like that." Nya blushed. "Your call had just woken me up, and my place was a mess..."

"No need to be embarrassed." Jay reassured her. "If my parents hadn't insisted that I come see them over lunch - and if I hadn't needed to exchange mixed-up suitcases - I wouldn't have left my apartment today at all. I would have ordered some unhealthy take out and spent the day on the sofa playing video games."

"Sounds like a great Sunday." Nya laughed. "I do have actual plans for later, my brother has invited me to come over for dinner tonight. Kai and his wife have the cutest little boy ever, he's probably grown a lot while I was away. Unfortunately, that means I can't stay here much longer."

"Yeah, I should get home as well." Jay got up from his seat. "I have loads of laundry to do now..."

"I guess I should do the same..." Nya agreed, albeit not too excited about the idea. "Make sure you have the right suitcase this time."

"Don't worry, I will." He thought for a moment. "Although... if I took yours, I'd have a reason to call you again."

"I really need my stuff. But if you need a reason to call, how does dinner next week sound?" Nya blurted out.

"It sounds great." Jay smiled. "I've done a lot of overtime in Stixx, which means that I am not working late next week, so if you happen to be in town..."

"I am." Nya said firmly.

"... I'd love to see you again. What about tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow sounds great." She said excitedly.

"I'll call you later, or maybe tomorrow morning if you're busy tonight, to confirm time and place, okay?"

"Okay." Nya nodded. "Talk soon. And see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Nya."

Jay gave her a little peck on the cheek, before he turned around and walked out the coffee shop, towing his blue suitcase behind him.