Cupid's Helpers (Part 2)

Happy Valentine's Day 💕!

As predicted, I didn't manage to finish this story in time, but I wanted to post something today, so the story will have four shorter parts in total. After this one, there will be one for Jaya and one for Kailor 😊. But I might update some other books (and I am also working on yet another new Jaya story...) before those.

——-

Cupid's Helpers (Part 2)

Valentine's Day, one of the busiest days in the restaurant business.

Already for lunch, Master Chen's Noodle House had had more guests than usually, but the big Valentine's rush was still to come now, during late afternoon and evening hours.

As promised, Kai turned up to help, he arrived perfectly on time at 5:25. And to Skylor's surprise - and delight - he even brought her a single red rose to mark their 'un-date'.

"It matches your hair." He told her, causing the colour of Skylor's face to match that of both the hair and the flower.

"So, I am all yours tonight." He winked at her. "What do you want me to do?"

"I can't have you work in the kitchen, for health and safety reasons." The restaurant owner's daughter explained.

"Hey, I took a shower before I came here." Kai complained. And Skylor had to admit that he did smell nice.

"But you need special training to handle food, we don't have time for that." She told him. "Do you know how to wait tables?"

Customers were generally in a good mood today, so this was a good opportunity to make good money in tips. And Kai's good looks and his charming personality would also contribute to that - unless he decided to flirt too much with the girls...

"I do, but my sister shouldn't see me here."

"Unfortunately, this only leaves you with washing the dishes." Skylor apologised.

"Ugh, great." Kai mumbled, but he didn't object. A Ninja never quits. He thought.

"That's how we all started." She laughed, handing him a plastic apron. "And maybe you can swap later."

As Kai disappeared to his station, Skylor went back to her own place at the entrance, where she welcomed the guests.

Nya turned up just before half past six., dressed in a light blue top over a silver grey skirt. Skylor almost didn't recognise Kai's sister, for her black hair was styled not in her usual ponytail but in an elegant bun. She had applied just a hint of make-up on her tanned face as well as her signature red lipstick. And she was holding a small red letter in her hand.

"Happy Valentine's Day at Master Chen's Noodle House." The red-haired hostess greeted her schoolmate. "Please let me show you to your table."

"Thanks." Nya returned a little smile. As they walked to the table - as promised, located in a private booth and even in a more quiet back corner - Skylor noticed that the usually so confident girl looked rather nervous, she was playing with a loose strand of her raven hair.

Jay turned up at exactly 6:30, he was well known for being very punctual. He was wearing a pair of black trousers and a blue shirt in exactly the same tone as Nya's top. Hopefully, that was a good sign for their blind date. He was holding the same red letter in one hand. And he had even brought a small heart shaped box of chocolates for the mysterious girl.

And while Skylor had thought that Nya had looked rather anxious, the freckled boy was definitely beyond nervous.

"Uhm, h-hi." The timid boy stuttered, blushing profoundly. "I... uhm, m-my f-friend... uhm... I g-got th-this i-inv-..."

"Happy Valentine's Day at Master Chen's Noodle House, Jay." Skylor gave him an encouraging smile. "And don't be afraid, your blind date is already waiting for you, excited to meet you. Don't worry, you are perfectly on time." She quickly added in an attempt to make his feel better. "Please follow me."

As soon as he saw who his blind date was, Jay's cute face immediately turned from bright red to ghostly pale and he looked like he was going to pass out. He dropped the latter and firmly grabbed Skylor's arm, pulling her back into the main area of the restaurant.

"I-It's N-nya." He gasped. "I-I c-can' d-do this. I am s-sorry."

Remembering what Kai had told her, Skylor placed her other hand on his in a comforting way.

"And why not?" She asked gently. "I thought you were friends."

Jay's face could change colour faster than a chameleon, for it immediately turned the darkest shade of red again. "Y-yes." He stated. "B-but... I... sh-she's s-so am-maz-zing..."

"You like her?" That was a rhetorical question, it was common knowledge at school. "Then you should use this chance."

Jay's deep blue eyes were welling with tears. "I-I don't d-deserve h-her."

"Please apologise my bluntness, but you have two options." Skylor told him. "You can either leave now, blow this opportunity to spend a whole evening with the girl of your dreams. In this case, you will probably not get another chance and you might regret this for the rest of your life." And he would have to deal with an irate big brother, but Skylor didn't want to scare the poor boy even more. She looked straight into his eyes. "Do you really want to disappoint the beautiful girl who is waiting just for you? Do you know what it feels like to be stood up on a date?" Skylor knew from experience how much that hurt. "And on Valentine's Day?"

Jay vigorously shook his head, he could never do that, especially not to Nya.

"Then you should go for the second option and go to her. Enjoy this evening. And make sure she enjoys it as well."

"B-but you have seen the guys she would normally go out with..."

"And?" Skylor raised an eyebrow. "Did things ever work out with them for her? Maybe those are not the guys she should go out with."

"I-I've never had a date before." Jay admitted. "D-do you have any advice for me? How c-can I impress her?" He wondered. "I'm not in any sports team." Well, he was, but Skylor - or anyone except his teammates - couldn't know about that. "I don't even have any badges, because I was never in Little Scouts."

"Don't try to impress her. I'd say she's had more than enough of that." Skylor suggested. "Just be yourself."

"But who would like me?"

"I think your friends, including Nya's own brother, do." Skylor said. "And they must think that she might like you as well. Otherwise they wouldn't have arranged this blind date for you."

"Thanks." Jay smiled, surprised to hear that Kai had been in this.

"Now, c'mon. There's a pretty girl sitting over there on her own, you don't want to make her wait, right?"

"N-no." Jay took a deep breath. "I-I can do this. Thanks. "

He turned around and, tightly clutching the poor box of chocolates, walked back to the table, picking up the letter from the ground on the way.