Dareth's Dating Disaster // Kailor (AU)

And another much belated (this time by only one month) birthday gift, for RubyRed883 . A while ago, she had requested a Kailor AU story: 'Kai is on a dating game show. Skylor isn't one of the contestants but she works there.'

Happy belated Birthday!!!

——-

Dareth's Dating Disaster

"Welcome to NGTV studios, how may I help you?"

The spectacled lady at the reception didn't even look up from her crossword puzzle as she greeted Kai in a monotonous voice.

"Good afternoon, my name's Kai Smith, and I'm here for the show."

"Which one?" She demanded while entering another answer into the grid.

"Find your Perfect Match, with Dareth Brown." Kai muttered. The one that my stupid friends signed me up for.

"I see." She eventually put the newspaper aside to check a sheet with today's production schedule. "What was the name again? Clark Miller?"

"Smith, Kai Smith. S-M-I-T-H" The spiky brunet spelled out slowly and clearly, as if he had the most complicated name in Ninjago.

"Ah, here we go. Kai Smith. You're on in Studio 2. I'll let them know you're here."

She made a quick phone call, then turned back to Kai. "Chen will be here in a minute to show you around."

Shifting her focus back to her crossword puzzle, she left no doubt that this was the end of their conversation. Kai awkwardly stepped back from the booth and shuffled around. Hopefully, this Chen wouldn't take too long to turn up. Well, hopefully this whole waste-of-time here wouldn't take too long.

"Kai Smith?" The twenty-two-year old turned to the source of the question, to be greeted by a young woman with bright red hair. "I'm Skylor Chen, I've been assigned as your assistant."

Kai's day had suddenly gotten a lot better - at least he would be wasting his time in the company of a beautiful girl.

He gave her his best smile. "Nice to meet you, Miss Chen."

"Oh, please call me Skylor." Kai noted that a light blush dusted her cheeks. "Or just Chen, like everyone else here."

"Skylor it is then." Kai winked at her. "I'm Kai."

"Follow me, Kai."

"What made you sign up for Dareth's Dating Disaster?" She enquired casually as she led him across the campus towards one of the studio buildings.

"Dareth's what?" Kai failed to suppress a laugh.

Skylor gave him an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I meant the Perfect Match, of course."

"I actually like your version a lot better."

"Oh, I didn't come up with it, everyone here calls it like that – except for Dareth and Gayle, that is. They're probably the only two people who believe that people actually find true love on this show." She blushed. "I probably shouldn't be telling you all this, after all you're a hopeful candidate looking for his Perfect Match."

"Ah, it's okay." Kai assured her. "It wasn't actually my idea. Nya, my baby sister got engaged to one of my best friends a few weeks ago, so we went out with a couple of mates to celebrate. At some point-" and after some pints "-my sis decided that I would need a 'plus one' for the wedding and started to ask random girls at the bar if they would like to be my date. It was super embarrassing, so I jokingly asked her why she didn't simply announce it on the telly."